Monday, March 31, 2008

What Does the Future Hold?


So, what do I think that God is doing...all the childbirth stuff and me and how does it all fit together?

Well, it really started when I was pregnant with Hadley. We took those Bradley Method classes you know and I also really got into studying prenatal fitness. So much so that I contacted a couple of prenatal fitness organizations to inquire about getting certified...and even took steps to get my personal trainer's certification.

It was very exciting, but just not the right timing for all of that. Although I didn't end up going through with it all, the interest never left...helping pregnant women, teaching them about their bodies and how to best use them, etc. I continued to read a ton in that area of interest and just be so enthralled with it all.

Fast forward to today, here in Brasil, where there is such a void of any kind of education. The clinic I go to, where my doctor practices...I actually saw the other day that a lady works there who does prenatal fitness. Very cool. So, it's not like it doesn't exist at all, but it is just very rare. And even rarer are the women who are even interested in doing things like that...studying about their bodies, doing things the natural way...prenatal fitness, birthing in a natural way (I'm basically talking vaginal here...lots of women aren't even interested in that, even with the use of an epidural), etc.

I've always been super intrigued with the role of a midwife. I am a nurse already, so with further training I would be able to be a nurse midwife...some have asked me if I was interested in that in the past. But, I am absolutely not. :) Will that ever change? Of course it could, but I doubt it somehow. That would scare the living daylights out of me I think...so much responsibility. No, I think I am definitely more suited for a support role. Besides, here in Brasil there would be much more opportunity to work in that support role rather than as a midwife I believe.

So, what does that mean? Here are my current thoughts: I would love to become a doula and childbirth educator. Those are things that I've been interested in for a long time, but the need for it here has pushed it into being much more than just an interest. It's pretty exciting.

Right now of course I'm just in the looking-into-it stage. Again first thoughts are that I will do what I can here and then get the rest of the requirements done (things like attending required workshops) when we go back to the states on furlough. There is actually a doula here that I'm in contact with and she told me about the childbirth ed. course they have here...suggested that it might be something that I can do here before I even go back. We'll see what happens.

Again, very excited about this opportunity. I think if presented in the right way it could really be of help here in Brasil. What do I mean by that? Well, I don't ever want to come across as the American who thinks her way is best. I truly don't feel that way. O.K., I think our food is better. But Brazilians think theirs is better, so we're even. :) But anyway, as long as it's not presented in a my-way-is-better kind of thing...as long as information is given and experiences shared...and as long as it's done with the heart of the best interest of the mom and baby at the forefront...that's what I mean. I think that there is real potential here for this being not only a great help, but also a great ministry opportunity. I don't want to push these things on anyone, but I would love to see these things as at least an option to the women here. I think if they had more education about it all, there would be more interest.

So...those are my thoughts as of now regarding that whole area and how it fits into my life. We'll see how it all pans out, won't we? I'm excited and will keep you posted as it all happens in the next few years.

First things first though...PORTUGUESE. :) Can't really teach or share anything without that. More on that and how I will go about that "learnin'" with a newborn now in a later post.

The picture: I realized yesterday that I didn't have any pictures of just me and Cass except for the ones right after birth...although beautiful, I thought it best if we get one of us all cleaned up too, right? That's the only picture for today...more later.

8 comments:

Amanda said...

How exciting, and I totally see you doing that. God has allowed you the education, experience, and given you the desire. Wonderful! Now He's providing opportunity. This is sort of beside the point, but that book I've been reading, Captivating, explains that one of our likenesses of God is that we desire an irreplaceable role in a great adventure. When I read this post, I just got excited for you that God is giving you a perfect niche in a really awesome adventure.

And, I have a question/comment I've had on my mind since Cass' birth. You mentioned prenatal health being interesting to you, so you might enjoy this thought. My doctor said to me awhile ago that she has seen the birth weight of babies in America increase over the years and there are studies to show it. The reason is our American food with all it's preservatives and additives and such. Your baby was smaller than all the others. What do you think about that theory and your lack of American food for the last pregnancy? Hmmm.

Anonymous said...

Great pic of you and Cass! So sweet! :)

I can see you as a doula! You would be great! Every year here in the USA we seem to have a higher and higher c-section rate! I wonder what the current rate for c-sections is? Anyways, c-sections seems to be a common trend in both Brasil and the USA. I think that its a huge calling to help promote awareness about how God design a woman body to birth. I'm proud of you! :) Keep us updated as you explore open doors for communication about pregnancy and birth!

~ Ali

Michawn said...

You know, I've joked the whole time that the reason I only gained 35 instead of my normal 45-50 pounds with this pregnancy was because of the lack of a Macayo's or Olive Garden...or any proper mexican food here to be exact. :) But, in all honesty, I do think there is definitely a correlation. The food eaten day to day is pretty basic here. Although I probably actually watched what I ate less with this pregnancy than with the last 2, the truth is that there just aren't that many options and choices. Pretty basic. And practically no ready-made, pre-prepared foods or ingredients either.

Although this is true and I totally think that is definitely a possibility for my lack of weight gain and even the size of Cass, one thing that I can't explain is the fact that I only gained 1 pound (!) in the last 2 months of my pregnancy...strange and even a bit scary. But, thankfully Cass is perfectly healthy and all is well...was God just being sweet and making the way for a relatively easier birth and recovery (because there has been a difference in birthing and recovering from a 10 pound baby as opposed to a 7 pound baby...not a huge difference, but a difference)? I just don't know. Very interesting to think about though.

Also, love that about "God giving me a perfect niche." Really very exciting...I think so too.

Leah said...

Okay. That's pretty much what I saw you doing. I never thought you'd fit in the role of midwife, since even an unattended birth was not an option for you. I really do see you as a prenatal educator/doula, even possibly something with lactation consultant.
You've been through enough with natural births that you would be able to run the gamut in this area.
I know God has a divine plan for you. Don't be discouraged about the language barrier. i bet you could assist with a Portuguese speaking doula for a while and pick up what you need over time.

Anonymous said...

Michawn,
You are so pretty. You look rested. You and Cass make a beautiful picture. I was talking to Rebecca Barnette (who had to have C-sections due to breach babies) and she is in awe of you having home births. I was telling her about us joking around about your "Little House on the Prairie" births and such. But we can see God using it all for His purpose. It is like a jigsaw puzzle falling into place. Things you don't really see having anything to do with the missions just fall into place. I think you would be a perfect teacher.
Love,
Mama

Stephanie said...

okay, this is so funny. Just today as carol and I were headed to a coffee connection meeting we were talking about you and I said she shoud become a dula! Would be so cool! :)

Haley said...

What do Brazilians think about breast feeding?

DyessFam said...

My first comment on your blog...yippee! I just have to say, "What an amazing person God has made and is making you!" Okay, so I have to tell on myself here. I've been reading all about your homebirths and all the reading you do and how very graciously you interact and respond with/to your kiddos and I have to admit that there have been times when I was like, "Man, I need to be a better mom!" I think you are such a great mom! Its funny, though, cuz I was trying to make me take on more than I'm meant to at this time. Thanks for writing this post because it showed me that you have a passion above and beyond just preparation for this. I'm totally not like that. If I read too much and try to prepare too much, my mind is restless and I start living in fear which is contrary to what God has for me! Anyway, what I'm trying to say here is...I'll let you do all the research and I'll just learn from you:) If God does give us more children, I'm definitely interested in homebirth/birthing center since now I know I can deliver without an epidural. (I would have preferred that Zekey be born at a birthing center, but the circumstances were such that it did not happen....I'll have to write a post about that.) Also, I think you would make an awesome doula!