Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Two of the Best Movies Ever

Since hopefully in the next few days I will be talking baby stuff again, I thought I'd give it a break. :) So, here is a completely non-baby, non-birthing post. :)

Because I know you are so curious, 2 of my favorite movies of all time are:

1. Hoosiers – I used to watch this at least once a day when I was in high school...esp. during basketball season. It totally and completely captures the feel of small-town basketball. I can watch it now and be completely taken back to the sights, sounds, smells, and feelings of being in high school and playing basketball. You have to understand that basketball was HUGE (is huge) in Saline, LA. My 8th grade year us girls went to state and got 2nd. My 9th-12th grade years us girls did fine, but didn’t make it back to state. But, our boys one state all 4 of those years. The boys also went back 3 years after that (after I graduated) and got 2nd each of those years. Even when not having winning seasons, basketball is still huge there. LOVE it. So, of course, that contributes to why this movie is such a great one to me. Even if you’re not into basketball or small-town sports, it’s a winner. You should check it out. Oh, and it’s also based on a real-life story. Great actors in this movie: Gene Hackman, Dennis Hopper, and Barbara Hershey.

2. Empire of the Sun – These movies are basically night and day to each other. I saw this movie probably about the same time...when I was in Jr. high or so. It tells the story of a boy accidentally lost and left behind, seperated from his family at the start of World War II after the Japanese Army invades British controlled areas of China. It is a great story about resourcefulness and a resilient spirit. It’s a beautiful movie too. Great actors as well: a very young Christian Bale and John Malkovich.

So, go to your local video store and check these out. Since they are so old, they should be pretty cheap to rent too. :)

5 comments:

Amanda said...

Girl, you made me watch that Empire of the Sun movie back in our days after college. It was good, but not what I was expecting. I'll never forget the part where the boy ate the bugs off of his potato before eating the potato. Necessary protein, right? It grossed me out, just that part at least. The rest was really good.

I love Hoosiers too. If a movie has sports in it, I love the ones (true stories especially) where the underdog team wins or triumphs in some way.

Hmmm. My favorites are "Return to Me," a totally unrealistic gushy romantic movie, but man is it good...and "Sense and Sensibility," a story by Jane Austin where two people in love FINALLY get together in the end. It's brutal to watch, but I loved it. Does that tell you I'm a gushy romantic at heart? I like all types of movies, though.

Amber said...

I Love Hoosiers too, but haven't watched it in a REALLY LONG TIME!!! I'll have to re-rent it. I'll also have to check out Empire of the Sun, sounds interesting! My favorite movie of all time is Pride and Prejudice with Kiera Knightly! It's also one of those Gushy Jane Austin romances!!!

Good Luck with the new baby! I can't wait to hear how everything goes and if it's a Boy or Girl???

Michawn said...

Awesome...I love hearing everyone's favorite movies. And that is so funny that you remember that Amanda. That cracked me up.

Anonymous said...

I remember one summer in high school I watched either Top Gun or Memphis Belle EVERY SINGLE DAY. What's strange is that neither of them are even close to being a favorite. Maybe I was just into pilots that summer?

P&P and S&S are two of my favorites too---that Jane Austen knows how to make you feel desperate and heartbroken for her characters.

I have too many favorites to list them all, but here's a few that I consider stand-outs:
Sabrina (new one with Harrison Ford), Fried Green Tomatoes, Steel Magnolias (when you really need to cry), Little Women (another cryer), Gone with the Wind (that Scarlett didn't know how good she had it), Sweet Home Alabama (maybe you CAN meet your soulmate at the age of 7), Any M. Night Shyamalan film, Gladiator...

I also have a list of "Guy Flicks," but won't go into those, since I think mostly women read the details of this blog.

I LOVE movies!!! And I'll definitely check out the Empire of the Sun.

-Crystal

Wendy said...

Ok, I have to admit that there are several movies that I ALWAYS stop to watch if they are on...Sweet Home Alabama, Father of the Bride,the Notebook....yes, I only like the sweet and sappy movies.

By the way...we are SO not tired of hearing about baby stuff. So bring it on!!
Praying for you!