Thursday, March 13, 2008

Do I Really Want That Much Work?

I have hit the stage, once again, where I'm feeling the need to do something different with my hair. It really doesn't happen that often. I will cut it...may leave it short for a year or so...then grow it long again and leave it long for a while. Last time I cut it was when Hadley was about 3 months old. The time before that was about 5 months after Joel and I got married. The time before that was in college. Let's see...so that means I cut my hair exactly every 4 years. Hmmm...then I'm right on target I guess. Well, guess I'm about a year early with this one. But, not too far off.

What got me to thinking about it this time? Well, for one thing, there is my perpetual ponytail. Yes, you've all seen it in ALL my pictures. I constantly have a ponytail and am fearing that I'm turning into that frumpy missionary. I'm kidding...but, yes...I lack a little style in the hair dept. right now, that's for sure.

Another thing that made me think about it further was this post a while back on this blog. Pretty cool story. Then another friend not long after that started talking about Locks of Love too. I've donated my hair before, so it's not a new thing for me. But, I've been thinking about it for a long time now...IF I do cut it again, this is what I'll do again (as is always planned for me when I cut my hair).

So, why my hesitation? It's just so much stinking work for me to have short hair. So many people make the comment that it's so much easier, but I find the opposite to be true. Of course, that's probably because of the way I "do" my hair when it's long. What do I do? I wash it, run a comb through it, and that's it. There are tons of things you can do to style long hair. Sometimes I do some of those things. But, for the most part I throw it up in one big ponytail or go half up/half down (again, a ponytail). I never dry it with a hairdryer even. Can you get any simpler?

With short hair, for one thing, unless you are going to let it grow out again immediately, you have to get it cut so often. That's a pain. But, also...my hair isn't really straight. I mean, it's not curly like my kids' hair and my husband's hair. But, still...not the kind of hair that I can just let dry on its own and lay flat/straight. No, if I want my hair to be straight, I have to blowdry it. This is true even when it's long, but when short it is really noticeable in that it sticks up all over my head and goes in tons of different directions. I ALWAYS have a case of bedhead if I don't blowdry my hair when short. Interesting. Of course it doesn't take all that long to blowdry when it's short...not compared to my long hair. But, still...it is time-consuming.

Also, people say it's cooler (as in temperature) to have short hair. I guess it's cooler compared to long hair that is left down. But, if you always stick your long hair up on top of your head, it's actually cooler to have long hair. :-) The short hair sticks to my neck and just feels yucky. By the way, I never do the medium length thing. It is terribly uncomfortable to me for some reason, so when I cut I cut short. The only time I have a medium length is when I'm enduring it on its way back to long.

So, yeah...I think I just talked myself out of it. But, then again...don't be surprised if I show up on here with a short do sometime in the future. I don't think it's quite long enough to have the required inches for donation right now anyway. You never know what I'll do (and neither do I...it tends to be a very spur-of-the-moment thing when it does happen).

And now some pictures...

Eissa's turn helping Daddy wash dishes.

Me and the little one...on top of the other little one. :-)

Grady's coloring sheet from church the other night.
He put his own name on it. I thought he did a great job.
Every night before we go to bed we check on the kids. Joel was already in bed a couple of nights ago and I went in to check the kids. I could not find Grady anywhere. I went to get Joel and he saw him immediately...here, under the bed. Craziness.
And this was Eissa at the same time. :-) Hadley was fine by the way.

We were on a walk to the top of the hill yesterday. They have a chapel service every Wed. here at the seminary. The kids were supposed to go to the kids' part, but turns out they didn't have it yesterday. We had a good walk though. :-)

Grady's name again. He was writing/drawing at the table yesterday and I went to see...this is what I found. Pretty good.
Eating lunch on the floor with Daddy.

We got these hand-me-down pajamas and thought that we might never have a chance to wear them. But, very very rarely, after a rain, it gets a little chilly around here. So, we were able to put these on.
Showing off her pretty PJs.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

Michawn, I am regretting my short hair cut right now because it is so dad gum thick and takes forever to dry. I have the same wavy hair issue, and when mine is long, I never dry it. Now I'm having to get creative with how I pin back my bed head hair, or I have to endure sweating through a hair drying experience after just getting clean in the shower. I am going to try the medium length thing again, since I actually like it for me. I like mine with some layers and just longer than my shoulders. One thing that is fun to do with short hair when it's awkward and I'm trying to grow it out is to put it in two pony tails at the back, bottom part of my head. (like pigtails, but not little girl ones) Other than that, if I wear it up I have to use a lot of bobby pins. I miss the college days when it was easier to share hair ideas, kind of like a new recipe because you're tired of everything you already cook. ;-)

Stephanie said...

I say keep it long...not that you asked. Although you can pull off shorter hair, it is more work. You shouldn't make any rash decisions while you have pregnancy hormones racing!

js said...

Love the photos! I do the hair thing too. Long then short then long again. So fun being a girl.

Anonymous said...

Grady, great on writing your name!!
Eissa, love your PJs and your pretty pink fingernails and toenails!! Hadley, such pretty hair--you are beautiful!! Anxious to see the new one. Michawn, what a pretty picture with you and Eissa with your long hair down. You look beautiful! Oh, Joel you look good, too. What a sweet happy family!
Hugs and kisses to y'all!
Love, Aunt Marilyn

Anonymous said...

Michawn - you are SO one of the cutest pregnant ladies of all time! :) Love you