Friday, February 15, 2008

Our Valentine's Day

Thanks so much for all the support in the comments yesterday.

Quick clarification I wanted to make: I, in no way, was trying to imply that all people should have a large family. The point, as I've made before, is that everyone should seek God on it and not just do what they think is best or the most logical or most "responsible" in their own thinking.

Some, after seeking God, will have just 2 kids...some will have 1...some...they will have no children. I know several couples who, for example for ministry reasons, and just because of their lifestyles in their ministries (traveling non-stop for instance) feel that God has definitely called them to remain childless. The point is to actually ask God and not just make your own decisions.

Just wanted to make that clear. And, thanks so much for all the fun comments.

In other news, we went to the doctor again yesterday for Valentine's Day. :-) Everything checked out fine. The baby's heart rate was 152. Funny...I'm actually measuring a little small...first time that's ever happened. You wouldn't know it looking at my belly, but the thing about my belly is that that's where most of my extra weight generally goes anyway. So, although it's good when I'm pregnant because everyone just looks at me and says, "you're all belly," the sad reality is that it's actually belly + fat. I'm an apple, what can I say? (you know, pear people tend to have their extra weight distributed more in their hips and hiney) Unfortunately, after the baby comes, I will still have a large belly to get rid of...but that's another subject that I've already talked about before. Moving on.

The appointment went well. Then it was off to lunch. They opened a new Outback in Goiania recently and we planned to go there for a Valentine's treat. We were told that they would be open for lunch, but they weren't. So, we ate in the mall instead and had a great time just relaxing on some couches, reading books in the really nice bookstore they have there (similar to Barnes & Noble). I haven't done that sort of thing in ages...so nice to just relax in a bookstore. They have a great coffee shop in there too, so we got some drinks. Ahh.

Then we were off to another appointment (we actually had 3 appointments for yesterday, but ended up cancelling one) with the pediatrician who will be accompanying our doctor for the birth. Our doctor's name is Dr. Luiz Carlos. The pediatrician, a woman, is Dr. Ione (doctors go by their first names here). It went well too, although she's a bit on edge about the whole homebirth thing. I think she thinks it's a little crazy and is a little fearful of the whole thing, but at the same time is excited to see something so great and natural. We'll see how she does. If she starts with any negativity while here, I will have to ask her to leave. Not allowed in my births, thank you. I think she'll be fine though. Let's hope.

Then it was home to shower, read to the kids and put them down, and hmm...catch up with the internet world. The kids didn't go to Portuguese class yesterday since we were gone. Today we will head back. It was a good break from it yesterday. I'm thinking it might be a good thing after all to only go Monday, Wednesday, Friday...good for all of us...kind of take a break and reconnect with each other on Tuesday and Thursday and not be in such a rush. We'll see how next week goes.

Be praying for us though. The kids are SO out of whack, esp. Eissa. Instead of the kiddos sleeping later since they are tired, they are waking up earlier (parents, you know that strange phenomenon of young children)...therefore, they are just totally whacked...and so are their parents. Eissa stays here and supposedly keeps the same schedule, but that hasn't rung true...she is waking up like 2 hours earlier in the morning. She is SO VERY fussy all the time. It's only been a week and hopefully this will all get balanced out. But, bottom line is that if it doesn't get straightened out soon, Portuguese class, as good as the benefits of it could be, will not be worth the chaos it brings to our family. Another post about chaos in families coming soon. Thanks for the prayers.

4 comments:

Leah said...

Well, you know, with Child Wise kids, routines can be adjusted for the good of the family. If, in fact, the routine does not sort itself out, it can be quickly remedied by returning to the original routine.
That's what I love about Child Wise. Flexibility. That, and knowing what comes next for everyone.
Now, if I could just get my two boys to follow our schedule for homeschool instead of playing first, we'll have accomplished something!
Love you,
Leah

Amanda said...

I'm just glad to know my kids aren't the only ones that struggle with change, or that wake up early even when they miss out on naps or go to bed late the day before. Such craziness. When they are teens I will enjoy the Saturdays I let them sleep in, just as my parents did for me. I'll remember this time of small children waking up early and being cranky, and hopefully laugh about it. I will also wish I could sleep late too, but I'll be too old by then!

Anonymous said...

Oh, ugh, Michawn...

I feel much the same as you do...that each couple should seek God's plan in regards to children.

I am wondering, though, and I really, really hope it is okay to bring up here. (You seem open to talk about things....)

I have heard this before, and am wondering what you and your readers think. Do you really think that God tells married people to NOT have kids? Are there any scriptures that we can point to to support that? Or...are married people generally supposed to have children (unless they are infertile, or unless their health prohibits it, or genetic problems which are inconsistent with life...)

I have heard some say that perhaps God does call some to be purposefully childless...and yet in which case perhaps he also calls them to remain unmarried.

I dunno for sure what I think...but I tend to the side that says married people should have kids - even ministry people should have kids. On the other hand, I'm not inside their heads or hearts and can't know for sure what God has said! :)

Just wonderin'.....

p.s. Glad your appts. went well. I DO know how that goes with kids not sleeping well when things are out of sync. Our kids sleep GREAT when things go well, not so much when things are out of order.

Matt and Meredith said...

If it's of any consolation, Merrae has been fussy even with a good night's rest and I don't think she's teething. Perhaps it's a stage they are going through at this age...that tantrum fussy whiny stage. Atleast I'm not the only one going a bit crazy. That makes me feel better. Hate it for you though! The good naps definitely have been helping the situation.