Thursday, February 07, 2008

Eissa's Birth Story - Part 2

I had been losing more of my mucus plug over the weekend before Oct. 10th (2006). On Tuesday at 2:15 AM I woke up and went to the bathroom. I had lots of bloody show. I went back to bed about 2:30 AM and contractions had started. They were about 3 minutes apart and I knew that this was it. I told Joel and he got up and got everything ready...finished filling the birth pool (we had bought a Spa-N-A-Box...completely heavenly), etc. I was walking around through the house...during a contraction I would have to stop and lean against the wall and breathe through them. Around 3:30 we decided to go ahead and call the midwife to let her know what was happening. Around 4:15 the contractions got to the point of the need to moan through them (I found out with Hadley's labor that I'm a moaner...it really helps me to moan in a low voice through the hard contractions; never thought I'd be a moaner, but here I am...a moaner). Sylyna (my midwife) got to our house around 5 or so. Around 5:35 she checked me and I was 3 cm and 90% effaced...at a -1 station. She checked me again at 7:20 and I was 4-5 cm. At 8:00 the kids woke up and left with a friend. (picture: in the sitting position)


The whole time I was in labor I was sipping water and going to the bathroom probably about every 30 minutes or so. Other than that, I was in the side-lying position on my bed mostly...a little while I was in the sitting/reclining position (all Bradley stuff). At 8:50 I was checked again and was 6 cm, 100% effaced, and at a 0 station. At this point Sylyna told me that I could get into the birth pool (before this I had been relaxing, per the Bradley method, on the bed as I said). We wanted to wait until just the right time to get in the pool...didn't want to do it too early as that will slow down labor instead of helping things sometimes. So, after I was checked at 8:50 I went to the bathroom and then got in the pool...probably about 9 AM. I probably had 1 or 2 contractions and then I started throwing up. With every heave I realized that amniotic fluid was shooting out of me. So, my water broke (although, I had been leaking since I started labor at 2:30). With the next contraction I felt the baby move completely down (it was a weird feeling) and I felt a huge urge to push. It was strange because with my other labors I had never actually felt that strong urge before. Really, I had probably just been impatient and not waited on that urge that is supposed to come. But, this was undeniable and I knew that I had that urge that everyone talked about. With this labor, I had determined that I wasn't going to push at all until I felt that. I think that with my other 2 labors I knew it was time (I was 10 cm) and I was hurting and so tired and just wanted it to be done. So, I would push, even without the urge. I had also purposed with this one that when it was time to push and after I had the urge, I was not going to rush it. I was going to let this baby be born "hair by hair." (pictures: 1) side-lying position; 2) in the spa...I was already pushing at this point)

Well, so even though I was having this incredible urge to push, I seriously doubted it was time because I had just been checked and was only 6 cm. I told my midwife that I had to push. She said just to listen to my body. It was 9:20 (I had been 6 cm at 8:50). I asked her, "So, my cervix is out of the way?" She checked and said yes...that the head was just right there and I was complete. So, I started pushing then (because I had to...again, at 9:20). At 9:28 the head was born and at 9:29 Eissa was completely out and in my arms...all 9 lbs. 14 oz. and 22 1/2 inches of her. I went from 6-10 cm in 30 minutes and pushed for only 9 minutes. I was so happy...and shocked! We had thought I probably had at least 2-3 hours longer when I was only 6 cm at 8:50...it was a great blessing to be done already. (picture: Eissa's first picture)

Another great blessing was that I hardly tore at all, esp. a blessing after my history of the other 2 births. I did tear, but not along my old episiotomy site, and I only tore after the head was already out. Her little shoulders got stuck a little bit and when they were coming out I tore a bit on the side...but, only requiring 3 stitches. Amazing though...she's been my biggest baby by far (Grady was 9 lbs. 2 oz., Hadley was 8 lbs. 4 oz.)...and I don't think I would've torn at all if her shoulders wouldn't have gotten stuck. What a blessing, esp. like I said, compared to my history in that. So, it was just a great birth all the way around and we are so happy about that. (pictures: this one and the one below...just a few hours old, hanging out with the parents)

Recovery time was completely normal this time. I healed up quite nicely and quickly. And breastfeeding with Eissa...had enough milk AND didn't have to ever pump or take medicine. Let me tell you what I am thinking may have been a factor in that...

As I said, with the other 2 I supplemented when it seemed like the baby was just ravenous and screaming for food...both time within 24 hours of birth. The same thing happened this time. It was actually during that first night...she was not getting satisfied on just the colostrum (if she was getting that). I was about to give in to her screams and cries and send Joel to go get some formula. But, my midwife had made me promise that I would not supplement for at least the first 48 hours...and if I was tempted to, to call her. So, we did. I was so frustrated, thinking she just didn't understand...I just didn't make enough milk. Well, in the end we didn't supplement...and Eissa did go to sleep. (picture: an Eissa smile...a couple of days old)

I had her on a Tuesday morning and my milk came in on Wednesday night. I had plenty and Eissa did fine with just my milk (no supplements of any kind). I never took any Fenugreek or any of those other humpteen jillion herbs I'd taken before...I didn't pump, I didn't waterlog myself drinking ridiculous amounts of water. It was just amazing. Was it because I hadn't given in and supplemented like I had with the other 2? I'll never really know, but I know that I will stick to the same game plan this time...I won't be supplementing right away even if the baby seems like he/she is starving. Maybe that extra sucking when she was completely ravenous (but not getting formula) did it...the whole supply/demand thing. (picture: first family pic)

Anyway, it was the best birth so far. And of course, Eissa is such fun. Hopefully we will continue on that upward trend and this birth coming up will be even better than the last...although I almost don't know how (maybe no tearing at all...that would be nice). Anyway, we are looking forward to seeing how it turns out. And so thankful for this great little Eissa we have. (picture: Eissa now...15 months old)

Just one more post concerning birth tomorrow.


Now, just a few more extra pictures...

A few fun "before" shots that I forgot to post yesterday. These were all taken while we were visiting in Boston.


If you know Eissa, you know that this is one of her signature expressions. If you even whisper the word 'no' to her, she does 'the lip.' Funny to see that she was doing it already when she was just minutes old. Apparently she didn't appreciate the suctioning.
A few hours old.
The kids' first peek at Eissa.

The happy kick.

3 comments:

Amber said...

What a dark head of hair! You have such BEAUTIFUL babies:) Loving the Birth Stories!

Leah said...

You are probably right on the breast feeding. The only time I supplemented was with #1. At about 3 months, I still didn't have enough milk.
I through out all the formula and forced him to nurse every 2-3 hours. It worked, and I nursed him for a year.
BTW, that homeopathic remedy I told you about before is Dulcamara. I'm sure their are others, but this one is for too little milk. Never hurts to be informed, right.
Anyway, I am certain you wont have any problems this time. Keep up with the Bradley Method, and just breath. Slow and steady wins the no tearing race!

Matt and Meredith said...

FUN pictures at the bottom of this post! Goodness...I had forgotten that Eissa was 9 lbs 14 oz! I knew she was a big baby like Merrae but didn't realize that big! Whew. I like 'em big though...nice and healthy.