Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Class Report

So I didn't really want to give the full report of Portuguese class yesterday. Why? Because basically...it was a rough day. I didn't even want to talk about it just yet.

Basically it boils down to tears and falls. The tears part was from me...and not from what you might think. No, it was because of something other than dropping the kids off at class (that's all I'll say), but I just couldn't stop crying. Of course, all the ladies there at the school thought that was what it was about and kept coming to me asking me if I was feeling better...how was my heart, etc. It was sweet, but actually quite annoying since all I really wanted to do was go home and cry some more. Wasn't in the mood to be social or even nice...but, I made myself do both. :-)

Then, after we'd been there about an hour and a half (I had finally stopped crying for the most part and was in the office area working), I walked to the door of the office to see if I could take a gander at Grady or Hadley. Grady's class was out having recess in the gym area just outside the office, so I got to watch him for a bit. I was far away, but he managed to still see me. He just smiled and waved and I smiled and waved back. Then he started running around with this big smile on his face. Well, in the middle of his running he and another bigger boy were about to intersect. The other boy, probably just in reaction (a reflex kind of thing), threw up his hands. He and Grady were both running fast and at the time their paths crossed, this other boy was at Grady's left side...and he basically T-boned Grady. Grady, who was kind of leaning forward while running, went flying sideways threw the air in a Superman pose for about 5 ft. Then, of course, landed really hard in a belly flop. Ouch.

I, at that point, had kind of stepped back. I don't think he looked for me, but he would've have been able to see me anyway. I just watched to see what he would do. He started crying and ran to his class and his teacher. I just stayed out front there, out of view...if it could be handled without me, I thought that would be good (of course, I wanted to run to him immediately, but thought it best I didn't). Well, soon Grady and his teacher (and all their followers...the crowd had gathered) came to the door and asked me to come out. I went out and Grady was crying...hard...one of those catch-your-breath kind of cries. He kept saying, "I just want to go home." Well, of course that made me start crying again. So, we just sat there in the gym and both cried. :-)

Brazilians tend to be very, very helpful...the American translation for that would probably be "smothering." :-) It was just a bad situation. They truly were just trying to help, but it was only making it worse. I was trying to talk to Grady and he was crying...I would get him settled and just be talking to him when they would come back up and try to get him to go with them to play. They kept bringing him Legos and blocks and suggesting things, when all we needed was to be left alone for a while. Poor things...they really were so sweet and trying to help...but it wasn't helping. I REALLY wanted to go home after all this. Everytime Grady asked to go home, I really just wanted to say, "O.K., let's go." But, I knew that wasn't the right thing to do...so we stuck it out.

We cried for a while. Then he did end up playing again, with me (SO VERY pregnant) sitting on the gym floor with him (in a skirt). After a while we joked around a little, even smiled and laughed some, and I left...and he went back to class.

All day long the helpful Brazilians would come and see how I was doing...ask how my heart of a mother was doing. Eeeesh. I just didn't even try to explain that I wasn't crying about the kids. Then someone said something about Grady and how it was normal to cry on the first day. I was thinking, yeah, if you did the Superman fly threw the air trick and landed on your chest/belly, you'd cry too. What he was crying about had nothing to do with his first day of class.

Needless to say, it was just an overall frustrating and rough day. But, that's why I didn't want to post about it yesterday before our 2nd day. I just knew that our 2nd day would be different.

And...it was. Joel even went and explained for me that I wasn't crying about the "mother heart" thing and dropping off the kids. He explained to Grady's teacher that his crying was all about the fall. So, therefore...it was just an overall better day...great actually.

I am seriously continuously amazed at our kids and how they adapt so well. They really can't understand a thing of what's being said. I can relate...I'm sure they can guess at things and pick up some things. But, even though they are kids and pick things up quickly, they've never studied Portuguese like me and haven't been exposed to it that much really. So, I can understand alot, although I miss out on lots of the details. I'm really not sure how much they even understand though. They, or course, could care less. They LOVE going to class...anywhere. If there are other kids their age (don't even have to be their age actually), they can't wait.

It's so funny too...just like anywhere else, there are so many kids at this school that cling to their parents and just cry about being dropped off. My kids just look at them like, "what in the world is wrong with them?" It's hilarious. I want to say to those crying kids, "Oh my gosh...stop crying...you know the language for heaven's sake." :-) It's hilarious to me.

Anyway, yes...we had a rough start. But, we had a wonderful day yesterday and plan for that trend to continue. The kids are loving their classes. And I am doing fine too. I miss my kids because even though I'm in the same vicinity as them, I don't see them for that 4 1/2 hours. And of course Eissa is not there at all. But, it's good...and only for a season. I'm excited to see our progression in the language at the end of this season. Just this morning I was talking to one of our neighbors (they are also missionaries with Asas de Socorro) and she has lived in the states for a time. She moved there when she was 9. She said they got there one day and the next day her father was enrolling them in school (I know that Joel's dad, 7 yrs. old when he moved to Brasil, had a similar experience). She said that within 5 months she was speaking English. She said that her mother was there for 2 1/2 years and still didn't really pick it up that well. Hopefully by me going to the school with them, I will pick it up much better.

I even got to translate a bit yesterday, much to my surprise. I was sitting in the arts and crafts class and a new boy (it was also his 2nd day) was in the class. Where is he from? Colorado of all places. Speaks English...not a lick of Portuguese. I asked him why they moved here and he said that he has family here and apparently the family member who have moved away...it's a tradition for them to come back and live for about 6 months or so. I thought that was great...he'll pick up the language and learn the culture of his family. They've been here about a week though. I was able to tell him what the teacher was wanting him to do for class.

Yep, a really good day. We're excited about Portuguese class.

Now, some pictures...

Saturday we were invited to Goiania to hang out with some friends. We went to Tatiane's parent's house and had a meal and stayed all afternoon. It was lots of fun. Tatiane is the one who got married back in July...we went to her wedding...you may remember the pictures. But, in this picture is Carmen, Tatiane, Bia, Pedro, and me. Carmen and her family, by the way, have so generously offered to come and get the kids whenever I go into labor. So, the kids will LOVE that...and they will be very well taken care of for sure.
They have a great pool...a great house for that matter.
I love all you sweet, sweet people who keep saying nice things about how I look good pregnant and only have the baby belly. But, look...the back don't lie. I have obviously gained some fluff everywhere. I'm O.K. with that...I'm pregnant...it's alright to be fat when pregnant...I will lose it. But, just wanted to be real. I hate back fat.




This piano belonged to Joel and his family when they lived here. It has been redone, but is the same piano that Joel played on growing up. Pretty cool.

Singing her little heart out.
That night we had a birthday party to go to. I'm still amazed at how late things are here. It was a birthday party for a 2 yr. old...at 7:30 at night. It was fun. They had a trampoline there that the kids, of course, loved. Look at that air that she's getting courtesy of her big brother jumps.


Rafael, the big 2 yr. old birthday boy.
They really go all out for birthday parties here. Well, some do, not all. But, this was an all-out party.
Eissa wasn't with us much that night. :-) She has a few groupies there at church.
The party theme was of a kids' show here, so they showed some clips and apparently they do like little fun music videos...the characters of this show (me and Joel had never heard of this show or these characters). Anyway, this was when there were music videos playing. The girls had to dance.
And Grady had to watch.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do NOT see any back fat! You look AWESOME! Totally beautiful pregnant! And as I said before only baby belly! Enjoy these last few weeks of your pregnancy! I think about your 'surprise' little one all the time! I can't wait for the blog birth annoucement! :)

~ Ali

Steph said...

i so can relate to being emmotinal and wanting to be left alone. well,actually pretty much everyone woman can. so thankful that the 2nd day was better:)

Leah said...

I feel for you!
And as far as back fat goes, don't get me started. I don't know if I'll ever lose the weight after having 5 cesareans. My muscles are so out of whack, it's not even funny!

Amanda said...

I understand about others trying to console your child and making it worse. We just know our children best and they want us to comfort them, not someone else. When Corban woke up from anesthesia I would get him calmed, then the nurse would ask him some crazy question about what cartoon he liked. He doesn't even know that term. He would get so mad again because his attention was once again drawn to his frustration over these weird people making him have crazy stuff stuck in and to him. I was getting pretty angry, but kept my cool for Corban so we could all stay calm and get out of there.

Oh, and I had a day yesterday like that where I cried and cried (something crazy happened with a family member). We were at home, so I can't imagine others constantly asking about you when you are crying. I'm proud of you for sticking it out for your kids and expecting a better day the next day.

And as for your kids enjoying the time with other children without missing you, it's a good sign that they are filled by you. The kids that cry are probably wishing they had more time with parents because they don't get much time with them. Just a hunch, and not true in every situation. I sure can tell a difference in my kids when we've had quality time and they feel filled up.

It was great to hear about class! (And I hate my back too...arms, lets, toes, fingers, double chin..., but you still look great!)

Anonymous said...

AunyHey there!!
Haven't talked to you for sometime, but i'm always reading your blog. Anna is always asking to see your pictures. Just wondering about the piano. I thought it still belonged to Joel's family and the these people were just storing it at their house.Would love to see it stay in the family!!
With love,
Aunty Nilza

AUNY said...

Chances are that you fit in just fine. Kay says that they are more dramatic in South America. Do you find that too? They cry easier and such.