Saturday, February 23, 2008

36 Weeks and Churrasco

36 weeks today. I'm feeling fine, although last night was pretty crazy. I dreamed for what seemed like all night (I know that they say dreams only happen in the few seconds before you wake up, but sometimes it doesn't feel like it) that I was in labor. It was a nice labor...my midwife and her assistant were even here with us from Texas (ahh!...that would be nice). I woke up to realize that the reason I was dreaming it was because I was actually having contractions and really cramping a lot. I even had major back pain (I always have major back labor while in labor). I didn't think I was in real labor or anything (and I wasn't), but I was just really uncomfortable. I went to the bathroom and finally got back to sleep despite the cramping and back pain.

The kids woke up and because I hadn't slept much, Joel let me sleep in. When I woke up later, I had the WORST leg cramp I've even had in my life...and it lasted and lasted (and still is really sore). Oh, the joys of pregnancy.

While I have pretty strong Braxton-Hicks contractions throughout my pregnancies, my body seems to be really getting ready now. Funny though...I'm not. I still haven't gotten out any baby clothes. We don't have any newborn diapers or anything. We've eaten about half of those meals that I froze...so I need to replenish. I still need/want to go to Port. class every day. Our doctor is supposed to come to our house beforehand to see the "facilities" and just make sure he knows how to get here...he hasn't done that yet. And the biggie...we don't have all our stuff for the birth that is being shipped here from the states. Hopefully the rest of it will get here soon.

It would be nice to have this baby before the 19th of March. Our doctor's daughter is here visiting from the states. She lives in Atlanta now and this past year had a midwife-assisted birth of her own. She speaks English of course and it would be great to have her here at the birth. But, other than that reason and the fact that of course I'd just love to meet the new one and not be pregnant anymore...we're O.K. with not having the baby earlier than the due date.

I will go ahead and get all prepared like a good little girl. And, you can seriously pray that the baby comes before our doctor's daughter leaves...that would be nice. But, in reality I don't think we are in any danger of a really early baby. I've only ever delivered 2 days early. It's getting close though...we're excited. Oh, and it's happening now as it always does with me...my shirts no longer cover my belly. Nice.

In other news, the house here that we live in is just a great house all the way around. We LOVE it and are totally being spoiled we are afraid. And it's not just the house, it's the whole area where we live on this seminary campus. It's wonderful. But, our house has a churrasqueira...in English that just means a built-in grill area. It's so very nice. A few weeks ago we had our first churrasco here.

Another couple that joined Asas also just moved into a house here on the seminary campus...up the hill from us. He (Ricardo) LOVES churrasco (as most Brazilians do) and jokes about how as long as he has his Bible and his grilling fork, that's all he really needs. Anyway, they came over and another family came (our friends from the UK...he is anyway, she's Brazilian...and their daughter Sara).

We are having another churrasco here tonight. Ricardo is in charge again with his handy grilling tools and all the Asas students and some staff are coming. Should be fun.

We'll be having Hadley's birthday party next Saturday so we are off to the store to get some school supplies and party stuff. Have a great day!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I know it's hard to have your body getting ready, but no idea of when baby will come. It was hard for me too. I'm always knowing what's going on with my body too, so there's no ignoring these things. I had dreams like that too where I was in and out of consciousness with those cramps. So weird, huh? We will pray for you as you wait on God's perfect timing! It'll be exciting to see, just as we did, some of the great things about His timing after the baby comes!