Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Full Story and Update

O.K., so you know that I had cramps and some back pain last Friday night during the night. I posted about it over the weekend. Those things had gone away by the time I woke up on Saturday morning.

But, last night during the night, I started cramping again (no back pain this time). It unfortunately did not go away this time. I've heard of girls "cramping" when in actuality, they are in labor. But, I kind of doubted that scenario, just because that's never been my way of laboring (not that labor is always the same, but I just had my doubts). Well, I could actually barely get around today...my uterus was constantly tight and I just felt crampy. I started to feel a tad bit better around lunchtime (I had given the kids breakfast and had managed to put the girls down at 10am...then I had laid on the couch on my side until Joel got home). But, shortly after lunch I went to my room. At around 3pm I was going to lay down and go to sleep, but I was SO VERY UNCOMFORTABLE. Not only was my uterus completely tender and I was still cramping, but I then was very short of breath...and when I did breathe it was painful. Also, I tried to get the baby to move around a little bit and the baby was not cooperating...it wasn't moving at all. That scared me!

Long story short, Joel came home (Eliane was here and stayed with the kids thank goodness) and we went and saw our doctor here (remember, the Plan B doctor...Dr. Kenia). She looked me over, listened to the baby (sounded fine...had started moving again on the way to her office), checked me internally, said I wasn't in labor (not dilated or anything), and gave me a clean bill of health. What's the pain about then? So, we went and got an ultrasound.

The ultrasound also showed that everything was normal. BUT, there is one discrepancy...the baby should be showing that it is 36 weeks and some days old. It is actually measuring 34 weeks. The radiologist questioned it and when we told Dr. Kenia, she wanted to have us come in and check it out first thing in the morning. So, we will return to the doctor's office tomorrow morning...have some kind of Doppler something or other done and some blood work and hopefully see what's going on. She gave me some medicine for the pain.

We also called my other doctor in Goiania when we got home to update him and see what his thoughts were. He actually said that this late in the pregnancy, a 2 week discrepancy for size in the ultrasound isn't a really big deal. That was nice to hear. We asked him what he thought the pain was about and he said that it sounded like to him that I just had an infection of some kind and that the blood work would show us more tomorrow. He was glad she gave me the pain medicine and agreed that I should take it...so I did.

I can't say that it's helped alot just yet, but I think it helped some. Hopefully I can at least sleep. I am completely exhausted. I actually took a little nap when we got home (after 7pm) and then dozed on the couch after I ate something (although I have no appetite). I am in a lot of pain though...and it's not fun. My belly area, my chest, and my back all really hurt...esp. if I don't breathe shallowly. Hopefully things will get resolved soon.

Baby is fine other than measuring small. He/she is actually measuring around 4 lbs. 15 oz. So very weird. I mean, I know that it's still fairly early (I'm not at the due date or anything), but that is just REALLY different from my other babies you know. We don't have normal size babies, much less small ones. Be praying about that. Placenta looks good, I don't have a hernia or anything, etc. I had been worried about infection or bleeding internally and thought maybe that was causing the tenderness in my uterus...my belly is so tender...every time I move or the baby moves, it just kills me. But, no bleeding, thank goodness. And we'll find out about infection tomorrow.

Keep praying...thanks so much for keeping them coming. I know that because of that, we will be in good hands and a resolution will come quickly...and the baby and I will be completely healthy.

I'll update you again tomorrow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michawn,
I was in great pain with Tucker. I thought I had pleuresy (spelling?) it hurt so much. I couldn't get comfortable in any position. When we started to the hospital that night that pain really increased. So that pain was associated with my labor. When Tucker was born my back didn't hurt any more. Of course, an infection will cause great pain too. I had that with you or Jared. Try to get as much rest as you can. That's not easy with 3 little ones. Let us know what the doctor says.
We will be going to Hammond tomorrow for the Saline girls to play in the semi-finals for the state championship in basketball. Go Bobcats!!!
This will be their first trip to state (I think) since you went.
Love you and wish I were closer.
Love,
Mama

Anonymous said...

Thanks for taking the time to update us. P & I be praying for you and your pain and for your sweet baby. I'll check back to hear how the Dr.'s appt goes and the lab work and doppler. Praying for comfort and answers tomorrow.

~ Ali

kris said...

hey
we are praying that whatever is going on...it will go! keep us updated.