Saturday, May 31, 2008

Unspeakable

Losing a child...it's unspeakable isn't it? It's a horrible, horrible, tragic thing. I can't even imagine...and don't want to.

I told you about how this time around (after having a baby) my fears seemed to be a little more heightened than usual. I think it always happens and I think it's a bit normal even. From your comments when I posted that, my opinion about it being normal must be true. This time it was just a little more intense.

And, this time around there's been something very specific that I've been a little freaky about. Nothing has changed in my actions necessarily. Joel had no idea until I told him...so, you know...not like I'm walking around in a freaky state at all times.

Anyway, what have my heightened fears entailed? 4 little letters: SIDS. I've thought about it with each baby...what mother doesn't think about it at times when she lays her baby down to sleep? This time it went a little further than thoughts though...it went into fearland. Not immobilizing fear...and thankfully I was aware to get a grip on it and not let it get out of hand. Who knows...maybe it was necessary and we took steps because of it that were needed (for instance, we never place her on her belly and we did the other babies...maybe that's a God thing for her safety where with the others we felt totally at peace with belly-sleeping). Anyway, it has been interesting and thank God for His peace and comfort.

But, I did email a friend of mine. They were missionaries in China for several years...just came back about a year ago for the time being. I met her when she was pregnant with her 4th child...her 4th boy. She had the baby during a furlough and returned to China. We were informed in church one Sunday morning that we needed to pray for that family. That 4th child had been found lifeless in his crib. He was 3 months old.

Anyway, I emailed her and just asked her experience. There has been one time when fears got the best of me and satan really won out. It was when I was really, really isolated in a new place and separated from friends. Yikes. Seems like my life now fits that bill, right? Thank God I came through that and am better for it...I recognize satan's attacks and attempts to thwart God's plans in my life and am able to battle. In fact, I loved how my friend worded it in her return email to me. She simply said "You are in a war!" So very true. Every single second of our lives we are...we are in a war. Some days, years, seasons of our lives it may be more tangible than others. But, that's what we are involved in...a war.

There are a couple of families that I know of who are very tangibly feeling that wartime status these days. I don't know these families personally at all, but each has touched my life in ways unspeakable. Be praying for them.

This is old news, but Steven Curtis Chapman and family lost their youngest daughter in an extremely tragic accident last week. They were all at their home in the Nashville area celebrating the engagement of their oldest daughter which had happened just hours before. They had the graduation of one of their sons to attend in a few days. They were having a great time I'm sure when unspeakable tragedy happened...one of their sons accidentally ran over little Maria in the driveway. The song Cinderella really plays strong now. And I can't imagine the thoughts satan is planting in that son's head. Talk about a battle. You can read more about their family and get updates on this blog if you are interested.

Secondly, Angie (the wife of Todd who sings in the group Selah) is quite the writer. She VERY eloquently and touchingly has written about her journey in losing a baby in this blog. Lest you think it is a depressing or morbid blog...no...quite the contrary. You will be challenged and encouraged if you choose to read even some of these posts. If not, she will most likely have a book out in the near future. But, this week Todd's sister (also used to sing with Selah) lost her baby as well. Her little boy, Luke, born March 18th (just a week before Cass), was found lifeless in his crib...yes, SIDS.

Please be praying for these families in their loss. So horrible. They are so strong in their faith and trust in God. Their lives are blowing me away these days.

Losing a child is a horrible thought. I was visited by these thoughts even before I had children. When my little brother was very small sometimes the thought would run through my head, "what if something happens to him." It was a paralyzing thought in that moment. But, we all have to just do continually what I did then, over and over. Be close to Jesus. Leave these thoughts and concerns at His feet. He holds us, comforts us, lifts us up...even when the unspeakable happens. Pray that these families continue to experience Jesus' presence and comfort and even peace amidst all the chaos of these days. He does know...all there is to know. In that we can find confidence and strength and that anchor to keep us still when all around us is tossing in the waves.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michawn,
I think all mothers think of this. I even thought that when a few months passed then it would be safe. Then I found that babies over one have even had SIDS. You take precautions and pray. And leave it in God's hands. And then when they are older there are other threats--and you take precautions and pray and leave it in God's hands. And, you will never stop being a mother so you pray and leave it in God's hands. HE has such big, strong, tender, loving hands!
Love ya!
Aunt Marilyn

Anonymous said...

Michawn,
All mothers do think of this. On a lighter note - Granny Day used to tell Mama her babies might sleep better if she would quit shining a flashlight in their faces to see if they were alright. Just another area to give to God. I can't imagine losing a child either. I don't want to find out.
Love,
Mama

Anonymous said...

Michawn,
All mothers do think of this. On a lighter note - Granny Day used to tell Mama her babies might sleep better if she would quit shining a flashlight in their faces to see if they were alright. Just another area to give to God. I can't imagine losing a child either. I don't want to find out.
Love,
Mama

Anonymous said...

Don't exactly know why that printed twice! Too early maybe. I'm cooking crawfish fetuccine for homecoming at church this morning. Talk to you later.
Love,
Mama

Anonymous said...

Michawn,

Thank you so much for posting about this. I have a 4-month-old, my third baby, and have been really struggling with this fear (SIDS particularly) since he was born. I don't know if I would feel better if he was sleeping on his back (he will not sleep on his back, right from the start, though I have tried! He sleeps much better on his front but still wakes 2-3 hourly to nurse anyways). I pray over him every night, that he will please not die of SIDS tonight, before I can go to sleep. His crib is right next to my bed and I just dread the very thought of losing him to SIDS.

My first baby co-slept and always lay on his back or side to sleep, and I really did not have nearly as much anxiety about SIDS that time. My second baby slept in a crib and would not sleep well on his back, so I put him on his belly, and he slept way better, but I was much more of a basket case over his wellbeing as a result. I do think I am even more anxious this time - why is that?! I hear it is not uncommon. Shouldn't we be getting less anxious as we have more experience with more babies?!

He is rolling both ways this last week and I hope that means he is less at risk because he can get off his stomach in the night.

I really can't stand the hold this kind of fear can get on me! I am anxious by nature anyway and it's SUCH a battle to keep it out of my head and given over to God!

Knowing that others out there feel the same way sort of helps me relax about it a little. Thanks for posting!

Amanda said...

Fear is so ugly isn't? I have had fears over the same stuff because I have a girl now, and she might be our last child. I would be so devastated to lose ANYONE in my family, my husband, my Corban, my Creed, and my Carys.

Satan has actually been trying to have a field day with me on another issue of fear. He is even using others to do it! As my wonderful, one-of-a-kind, husband is now a youth pastor, I have been hearing so much about youth pastors leaving their wives or having affairs with young girls in the church. Johan and I have taken sooo many precautions against this, and we've had five years to talk about how to battle against it happening to us. Here we are now, with three young children and a busy lifestyle to distract us from our relationship. In my fear I am tending towards paranoia and being clingy!

It's just best that we don't worry about such horrible things happening to us, not because they won't, but because it's a waste of time and if it does happen to us...I know God is faithful. But is hard, isn't it? I think the best way to battle satan is with scripture. I'm working on that one.

I will pray for you as you battle satan in his attempts to undermine you. God has such great things still ahead and satan knows it. And I'll also pray for protection for Cass. Pray for me too? My baby girl is also so precious and it will be awhile until she is past the possibility of SIDS. And for protection for our marriage.

Love you girl. Love your transparency!

Anonymous said...

Michawn,
I doubt you remember me - Brenda Basinger. I've been following your blog for a while now. You have a beautiful family and quite a way with words.
This particular posting prompted me to comment. I've lost a child, my daughter, Mariah Heron. She wasn't an infant, she was 21. But, still, she was my baby girl.
It is unspeakable. When she died, my faith was hanging by a very thin shred. Long story short - everything happens according to God's plan. If you are interested in Mariah's story, let me know.

Anonymous said...

You are so right it is unspeakable..the pain and the loss of a child. I've been following the blog on baby Audrey and the loss of the Chapman's daughter. I tear up every time I read those blogs. I ache for them.

I'm reading a Beth Moore book "Believing God" and she talks about fear and believing God. Its been really helpful for my current fight against fear. It seems at different season "fear" pops up as a struggle for me. I know that if I really believe God is who He says He is and He can do what He says He can do then He is trustworthy no matter what happens in my life and in my families lives. Pray that I continue to grow in this area that I would be full of faith and trust and not fear.

~ Ali

Anonymous said...

That night I was by myself with my 3 little ones when the knock came on the door and somber faced neighbors (who had a telephone) stood there, I just knew. When they told me of the accident which killed Mother (and later took Father)instantly He reminded me "the Lord gives and the Lord takes away. BLESSED BE THE NAME OF THE LORD!" at the moment of greatest need there was an unexplainable great dose of His grace.We did walk thru great grief however with it there was an undergirding Strength.
My declaration is: This is the day the lord has made... Then I state my position, my choice...I WILL rejoice and be glad in it.
He gives wisdom for each situation and each day. Love, Pam

Anonymous said...

Does Joel remember that night of the accident? He would have been 6 years old. Pam