Monday, April 07, 2008

My Helpmate...er, what?


You know how it is at the end of a pregnancy? Esp. when you have health issues that arise. Labor itself is a huge task. And then there is that recovery period...lasting at least 2 weeks where you are advised to just really lay low.

Joel has been so awesome in taking over and taking charge during these times for me. During these times in our case has meant every year to year and a half for the last 5 years, lasting for at least 6-8 weeks. He has joked around, looking at me saying, "Now, who's the helpmate here?" Believe me, although he loves his family, there is noone hoping for that break that we are hoping for between this child and the next more than my wonderful and serving husband. He's tired (he rejuvenates quickly though...that's good).

Despite his fatigue, he just keeps coming up with such darn fun stuff for us. He is the best Daddy in the world...and my kids would agree. I have some big shoes to fill now that he's back at work (as of today). He wrestles, he cooks fun food (the pictures are of when he bought little personal pizza crusts and the kids made their own...great fun), he makes great "special drinks," he goes fruit picking with the kids, he takes them on scavenger hunts, he rides bikes with them, and the list goes on and on. Yep, how will I ever measure up now?

A few nights after Cass was born, this was the fun meal Joel and our older 3 had outside. I'm telling you...Mama would've never done this. Thanks Daddy!! And thanks, Babe, for taking such great care of all of us for so long. You're the best ever...seriously!!

**Scroll all the way down for answers to the last post.

















Hadley



Cass




Grady
Eissa

Congratulations to Amanda (the 2nd time around), Leah, Alice, Amber, and Shelly for getting it right. If you missed it, don't worry...even Joel got them wrong (I probably would have too). They do look alot alike as newborns, that's for sure. Thanks for playing.

6 comments:

AUNY said...

I got them all wrong I think! I'm so glad that Joel is such a natural at being a daddy and can really help out during these times.

Leah said...

WooHoo!
Hey, I read something recently about Mama's and Daddy's.
Mama, being a soft sound, is also a soft person. Her character is gentle.
Daddy, on the other hand, is an exciting sound. His character is playful and vibrant.

Not to say that moms aren't exciting, just gentler. Even when moms wrestle, it is softer, and the kids are gentler with moms than with dads.

Amanda said...

Great post! I'm blessed with a majorly helpful hubby too. I'm so glad I married a man who doesn't think there are jobs men aren't supposed to do. I don't think I could have handled it! I think it's cool that Joel is creative, too. It would be fun to do the grilling on a stick with the kids, but we're not allowed to have open fires in town. We'll steal the personal pizza idea, though! I've seen that done with canned crescents too, and it's yummy. Another fun thing we have done is let the kids decorate cookies, but it's kind of the overkilled activity here for every preschool party with church. Anyway, I think Johan and I are both in that same boat of being ready to have a break from starting over on babies and to let our kids get older/more responsible, but mostly it's because we want to be able to be more involved in ministry and spending time with people. We don't know, though, if God is saying to stop or have more at this point though. Just wait.

That was a fun game! Your children do look a lot alike as babies (mine do too, but not that much)! They are incredible adorable! My favorite trait about them is their curls!

Anonymous said...

NO WAY! they all look so much alike!!!! Joel is a great dad! I like hte one picture that looks like Grady is in the fire and loving it :) Love you!

Anonymous said...

rats. I thought for sure that I was right. :)

My husband is INCREDIBLY helpful, too. It's wonderful - I know that many women don't have that.

Anonymous said...

Meu queridos...

Como e bom tê-los como amigos!!!É bom saber que existem pessoas tao especiais como voces ao nosso lado!
Sua familia é linda!
GOD BLESS YOU FOREVER!
P.S: Fiquei bem na foto vc viu?!srsrs!!!!

klayton, Cristina e Ana Liz