Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Is It Just Me?


Here are some things I noticed anew the first week or so of postpartum:

Baby Poop - I love the smell of a breastfed baby's poopy diapers. :) If you've never had an exclusively breastfed baby, you just absolutely don't know what I'm talking about. A baby who is fed formula of any kind does not have the same smelling poop. But, a breastfed baby's poop...so sweet. I don't mean sweet as in "aww, that's so sweet"; I mean sweet as in sweet vs. sour. It really does smell sweet...and I love it.

Fears - The first week or so...again, maybe it's just me...but the normal everyday things seem heightened to unusual proportions. Things that are normally just cause for caution tend to taunt with my mind and try to make me fearful. Fears are heightened. For instance (and really this is the only thing it involves), thoughts cross my mind of something bad happening to my children. Grady, for example, falling off that top bunk. That is always a logical concern, but during that first week of postpartum it had the capability of turning into an obsession. The wise thing is to not let it. Just something I noticed more this time around.

Starving - I am a ravenous nut during that first week. I want to eat constantly!! I wake up to nurse at 3am and I want a full-blown meal. It levels off quickly, but man...that first week is crazy with hunger.

So, does anyone else experience these things? There are more things obviously...all the physical things of recovery that we've already talked about before. Just thought I'd mention a few of the other things that I really noticed this time. What interesting things have you noticed?

And for picture time today you get more Cass faces. Lots more. I love the nutty expressions babies make sometimes. I remember me and my brother, Jared, just staring at my little brother (Tucker) and laughing hysterically at the expressions he would make. Anyhoo, here are a lot of Cass faces...some funny, but all of them just adorable (if I do say so myself). :) She was 2 weeks old as of last night. She continues to sleep SO good. We barely hear a peep out of her. She's super content and LOVES it when she hears her brother and sisters talking and playing around her...a smile gets stuck on her face at those times. Cute.










My favorite of today's pics (above).











"I'm all done, Mama." ;)

11 comments:

Steph said...

my favs are the one's where she's yawning and just the staight face ones. it's like she's saying,"really another pictures mama?" hahaha

love the new background and the new fam picture!

guess who is speaking at Saline High's graduation this year..............................
you guessed it your crazy friend, Brian Lewis Britt! He was floored and i am so proud for him!

Anonymous said...

Great pics of beautiful Cass!

~ Ali

Amanda said...

The poo thing is definitely something I've noticed. Carys' poos are starting to smell more strong, but they still don't stink like poo usually does. I can actually hold her now, and be able to tell if she's pooped. She's 7 1/2 weeks now, and I only just started smelling it last week.

The fear thing is so crazy for me. I don't get it, but I experience insane fears constantly after my babies are born. I know exactly what you are talking about. Things I don't ever consider happening, even though they could, plague my mind. I have been battling worry because of it, you know, putting my kids in God's hands all over again.

The only weird other weird thing I experience is the night sweats and chills. I googled it and found that other women experience it postpartum, too, but it doesn't seem very common. It usually goes away by at least 6 weeks for most women, but for me it starts during my second week, and only lasts 2 weeks.

I love all the baby faces. We need to concentrate on more pictures of our girl while she's awake. We've got a ton of sleeping pictures. I love Cass' mouth/lips. She's very pretty!

Haley said...

Okay, I don't know if I would go so far as to say that I "love" the smell of breastfed baby poo, but it is definitely NOTHING like the nastiness that is formula. Good gravy, that stinks. The spit up is the same way. Formula spit-up makes me shiver. Yuck!

I also got the crazy night-sweats and chills. I didn't know what that was all about either. I do think it lasted for several weeks, but I don't remember how long exactly. So many hormones! I'm sure I"ll notice more weird things next time around.

Leah said...

For those who don't know, a breastfed baby's poop smells like buttered popcorn!

Michawn said...

so crazy...it does smell kind of like buttered popcorn!! ha ha ha...nice.

Chris said...

When my 2nd one (Larissa) was born, I felt terrible that I couldn't do everything for Giselle those first few days, like give her a bath, etc. - I felt like I was neglecting her. When Elysia was born, I didn't feel it quite as strong, but still felt a little guilty that I couldn't do everything for the other two. We'll see how things go for number 4!! It is definitely a hormone rollercoaster though, that's for sure!

Chris Miller

Matt and Meredith said...

I experienced the extreme hunger after having Merrae. I think it must go along with nursing. YOu need more calories while nursing I've heard. The good thing is, you still just keep losing that weight while breast feeding even though you eat like a horse! I lost all my weight if not more after breast feeding for a year. The bad thing is, I kept eating like a horse after I quit nursing and put on pounds because of it! Ha! I'll know to watch it more carefully this time. : )

Anonymous said...

Michawn, you crack me up. No, it's not just you. hee hee Yes, breastfed baby poo is so much better than that formula poo. UGH I've had six babies of my own and babysat many more and I tell you, breastfeeding is obviously better for those babes. Of course, formula is a blessing if it's needed.

Odd things after birth; That hunger as you've said. I tell you, I do eat like a horse but my weight does NOT fall off. As Meredith said, perhaps I just keep eating like a horse when I need to stop. ha ha I did better with baby five and six but after recovery of baby 4 who was over 10 lbs. I got on the scale, it showed NO weight loss. So I think, I ate my way back up that quickly before I got on that scale. Boo hoo. I'm just now taking it off and it's be SIXTEEN YEARS. So ladies, learn my mistakes (an oldie) and stop eating like a horse a little earlier than I did. hee hee You will be glad you did. I stopped eating like a horse with baby 5 & 6 and am so glad. :o) Now, back to the scheduled weight loss of 16 years ago. UGH

No night sweats but I do experience the fear thing. I think it has to do with our heightened responsibilities of a new born and knowing how out of control we really are in life. Hormones fluctuating sure don't help, that is for sure. I can't even sleep with the baby in the room with me as I hear EVERY move and change they make. ha ha My Mom has always blessed us by coming for our births so she always sleeps with the baby next to her so I can rest. Man, I've been spoiled, haven't I? :o) She would get up when baby wakes, change him/her and bring baby to me to nurse. Isn't she great?

Michawn, I love all your pictures. Daria is in hog heaven gazing at everyone. She sighs and says, "How much longer now?". ha ha She is so precious.

We miss you much.

Love,

Miss Gail

Stephanie said...

love all the faces!! I also like the new look of your blog! Very nice...where did you get the template?

Stephanie said...

oh, i forgot. I am having the hunger thing! With the 2am feeding I sneek to the kitchen for a snack!