Thursday, April 10, 2008

Cool Baby Stuff

There are a few things that I just love...some things I haven’t ever had before or used before. Some things I talk about here I’ve used and can’t do without. Here's a short list...

1. Moby Wrap – I have a Maya Wrap and love that. We also have a Snugli and love that. But, during this pregnancy I saw what’s called a Moby Wrap. It is so versatile, it's really comfortable, and I just love it. Love it. I've used it a few times now and I think it's the best wrap/sling/carrier because you can hold your baby in a ton of different positions (up to 35 pounds it says) and it doesn't hurt (the others can tend to put a strain on your back and shoulders after a while, no matter how properly you are wearing them). Really, you could probably make your own...and I know of people that have. Basically it’s just like 10ft. of T-shirt material...nothing complex. But, anyway...love it.

2. Bella Bands – My friend used a Bella Band for a while for the purpose of being able to still wear her pre-pregnancy pants. Basically, it is just a band of material that you can wear over your unbuttoned pants and nobody even knows. I got mine late and besides...I start wearing maternity clothes about 2 seconds after I have a positive pregnancy test anyway. But, other uses for Bella Bands are belly support after baby and a layered look for when you are nursing in public (and have to raise the shirt...keeps the midsection covered). I really like them.

3. “Cloth diapers” – Here I am not talking about the actual cloth diapers that you put on baby bums. I mean, you can, but we use the regular white “cloth diapers” that they sell at Target and Wal-Mart for “pads” basically. They make fine burp cloths too, but are a little stiff for my liking since they have that padded middle. Our preference...we put them down under baby’s head and/or bum. When there is a little spit-up action or a poopy blow-out, all we have to do is change the “pad” underneath them and not the whole sheet...very convenient.

4. bumGenius – Remember my hippie researching? Well, we did go ahead and get some cloth diapers (here I’m talking about the ones we actually put on baby’s bum). We just started using them yesterday (we had to wait for some specific detergent to come from the states) and so far we love them. Eissa and Cass use the same ones (they are adjustable, one-size diapers). After you wash them, you stuff them with the inserts and then you can just grab one when a change is needed and stick it on...practically like a disposable in that sense, you just have the added benefit of being able to reuse it. We only got 18 and knew we'd need more...that is a definite now. Diapering 2 at one time, one being a newborn...18 just doesn't cut it. But, the diapers themselves are VERY well made and most other people I’ve talked to love them also. The company we got them from is also a Christian, missions-minded company. They actually have a diaper grant package available for missionaries that we applied for. It is a very nice package and we are really hoping to be selected for that. It would be such a great gift and blessing.

5. Swing – Some babies don’t get into swings I’ve heard (don't like them), but ours so far have loved a swing. We were sure to bring our swing with us (thanks again Graves family and Brockway family). It is, in my mind, just priceless. After nursing Eissa, I would always put her in the swing (not always necessarily swinging, mind you, esp. when Cass's age). Then when she got a little fussy (and when she was a little older), I would change her over to the jumper (another GREAT baby thing). Then it would either be time for bed or some tummy time or bouncy seat (again, another GREAT baby thing) time...whatever. But, we love the swing, that’s for sure. If you've never had it, you wouldn't miss it. But, yeah...we had to bring our swing to Brasil. :) (picture: Eissa so sweetly sharing her water with Cass)

And that concludes our baby talk for today. Just thought I’d share some of the things that we love and use. There is more, but that’s enough for today. There may be more I want to share as I take care of little Cass and remember along the way exactly what is just so invaluable to us. Before we leave this though, here are a few more diaper-related pictures and views from all angles.

My laundry line the other day...full of diapers.
The inside of the diapers (and Cass helping out with laundry :) ).





This is not something I’ve used personally or even seen in person, but I thought it was super cool. Is this not the best and safest trampoline you’ve ever seen? I’m personally not much on trampolines (taken care of a few paralyzed people in my day due to trampolines...not always due to falling off either...some just by landing wrong on the trampoline itself). Although my kids have played on them before, we will probably never own one ourselves. But, I thought this was a great idea.

Also, as of today, our fun little girl, Eissa, is 18 MONTHS OLD!! Here are a few pictures of this great little girl. Happy 18 months, Eissa!







6 comments:

Leah said...

I'm loving the cloth diapers I got for Levi. I haven't used the ones for Sofia yet, I need to order a large size.
I have actually switched to using cloth wipes as well.
Using your recipe, I just tossed in some baby wash cloths and voila, cloth baby wipes!

Stephanie said...

love the recommendations. so nice to get something that someone has already tested and loved. Cass is looking so pretty!

Amanda said...

Yeah, our kids never got into the swing, but it's because we never had one of our own. They loved the bouncer seat with the stuff to look at. I loved it too since I started my boys on food before they were sitting on their own. Then we got the jumperoo thing and they were in hog heaven jumping all over the place. It was nice for winding down the energy, too. I did have a front pack carrier that I loved, but I gave it away and now I am using nothing...sadness. My personal must-have is the boppy pillow. I use it for me so I don't have to support the baby's weight the whole time I feeding. My shoulders are sore right now from all the times recently I've been lazy about using it. I also love that I have two hands if I want to meet the need of an older child and need my hands. Although, if I had that sling thing you've got, I think I would nurse the baby in that while I ran around doing stuff! Does it work like that?

Lovely little Eissa is growing quickly!!

js said...

So cute!

js said...

By the way- Justin is doing an online pregnancy store. You'll have to email us all of your suggestions. We are going to sell anything baby or pregnancy related.

Rebecca said...

Okay so I know I probably shouldn't have favorites, at least not favorite kids, but I have to admit to you that Eissa is my favorite - I can't help it, she just is. I haven't even met her, but maybe because I remember praying for her when she was in your belly. I don't know - it's just that crazy personality! She's adorable. All four are adorable. I always say you guys make THE cutest kids. Okay, okay, they're all my favorites! :)