Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Thumbsucker

Remember this post about how I kept hearing that noise coming from my womb while preggers with Cass? Remember how the #1 reason people had for that noise was a sucking of the fingers/hands? I found it hard to believe but didn't have anything else that made sense either. I now fully believe that is exactly what it was.

Well, this picture was taken minutes (and I mean mere minutes) after birth (on March 25th). She immediately found that thumb. We were amazed.

This was taken a few days ago. None of my other kids have ever done the thumbsucking thing. It's a whole new frontier. We had something new with Eissa in that she loved a passy...the older 2 never even did that. When Cass is with us and goes for the thumb (by the way, it is always her left thumb...she can never find her right one; she even has a little red mark on the inside or her left thumb resembling a birth mark...not sure if it was there from birth and if it was made by sucking, but it's interesting and seems to be here to stay), we always exchange it for the passy. She's fine with that. She just can't put it in herself yet, obviously. But, during naps and at night...wow...she is one self-soother. It's nice because she doesn't wake as often (i.e., more sleep for me), but yeah...like I said...new frontier. Pacifiers are better for the teeth, am I right? And, when it's time to put a halt to that little sucking habit a passy is easier to cut a hole in. :) But, it is really, really cute, isn't it?

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I think its real cute! Belle has always been a rule follower! I told her from when she was little that when she was finished sucking her thumb, we'd polish her fingernails! One day she was ready, we painted the nails, she cried that night for a bit, but that was all it took. I think she was maybe 18 months!?!? I'd have to check back in my calendar! Hopefully it will prove to be just as simple for ya'll!?!!? Brady's another story...3 and still loves his fingers...and I love his soothing! He may be on the bench in high school taking breaks as he holds his blanket and sucks his fingers...I'll still be proud!!!

Nicole said...

Ok...so that picture of her made me want another little muffin!! I could just squeeze her cute little self! So, i always thought the thumb sucking would be so cool. My first two did the passy thing and I thought of crazy things in the middle of the night when going to stick the sucker back in (no pun intended!!)Things like taping the passy to their face!! Kid you not...I was delirious and it sounded rational at 2am! I NEVER did it for the record, but did dream about it!!

Love you

A. said...

Awwww...sooooo sweet! I wanted Harper to suck her thumb...of course I did...I don't have to break her of it! :-) I agree with you. It would be much easier to break the pacifier than the thumb. It's crazy how kids are all so different. Love you! I sent you an email.

Amanda said...

My Carys loves her thumb too! And the self-soothing is SO great, like you said! She doesn't ever fuss when I put her to bed, but just sticks her thumb in her mouth. Her favorite is the right hand. When Corban was 2 months old, I'll never forget the entire day he didn't sleep because he had found his thumb. He sucked his thumb until he was 8 or 9 months, then just quit on his own. He started sucking on the arm of a favorite teddy bear instead. Creed loved his first two fingers. He doesn't do that anymore. He exchanged that comfort for a sippy cup filled with water when I weaned him. That cup thing was a painful habit to break, though! We never dreamed he would become attached to a sippy cup! In the beginning, though, all our kids have loved to suck their hands in some way!

Anonymous said...

It's really cute until they are 8 and ever moment of your life is consumed with, "Take your thumb out of your mouth!"

Anonymous said...

Cass is so cute sucking her thumb! I love those pics :) Coleman was a pacifier baby. The con was lots of late night trips to his crib to find his lost pacifier (silly mommy!)the pro was it was super easy to take away during the day at 1 year and all together gone even at night by 18 months! Ava Grace sucks her ring finger and her middle finger! Its so cute to see her and its super portable and she never lost those fingers in the middle of the night. Haha! She turns 20 months today! During the day I remind her to take her fingers out of her mouth and it works just fine but at night her finger sucking habit continues! :)


~ Ali

Wendy said...

HOOOW SWEEEEEEEEET!!! I love to see babies sucking their thumb. #2 was my only thumb sucker. He also had a blankie. We discovered that he associated both with sleeptime. When he was 2 or 3, we took away blankie and the thumbsucking stopped. Never thought it would be that easy!!!

js said...

So darn cute! Seriously still the cutest baby I've ever seen. You make beautiful babies- well I guess God does, but he uses your genetics!

Matt and Meredith said...

Tooooo cute. I just want to squeeze her and kiss those scrumptious cheeks. Enjoy!

Haley said...

I was a thumb sucker... til I was 5! My parents tried EVERYTHING to get me to stop. Turns out that going to school was what did it for me. Apparently you "can't" go to kindergarten if you suck your thumb... at least that's what my mom said. On another note, everyone said I would definitely have to get braces, but I have very straight teeth and have never seen an orthodontist. So, don't worry about it! I think thumb sucking is adorable! I tried to get Eva to suck her thumb, but she would have nothing of it. I have always heard that thumb suckers are better sleepers. So be thankful for that!

Anonymous said...

I sucked my thumb too... I eventually grew out of it at 12. :)