Saturday, June 21, 2008

Oldie But Goodie - Reefs


Well, it's officially the end of an era. I've been meaning to get some new ones, but just never have. Joel and the kids gave me new flip flops for my birthday, but I've just never sat down to actually purchase them (off the net). Well, today I was forced to do just that (see pictures below...the above picture is what new ones look like).

My friend Danny Robinson called me up one day back in Longview. I was walking around talking to him at my house at 606 Berkshire (ahh, the memories). It was a Friday evening and he called and asked me my shoe size. I said, "Danny, are you making fun of me...I know I have a big foot." :) He said that no, he wanted to get me a gift.

He worked at this ski and surf shop and turns out they had just gotten some new flops in. I was going to a wedding with him the next day and he brought them when he came to get me. I had never even heard of Reefs before, but instantly loved them. SUCH A GREAT GIFT!!

I've worn them seriously almost every day since then (I am completely so not kidding)...and that was 8 YEARS AGO!!!!!!!! Yes, I'd say I got my money's worth...well, if I'd ever paid for them in the first place. :)

THANK YOU DANNY ROBINSON!! Truly, one of the best gifts I've ever gotten.




"Mama, you need new flip flops."

Goodbye my wonderful 8-yr. old shoes! I'll miss you.
Joel tried to chunk them (as in, in the trash), but I just couldn't let him do it. :) Me and the kids will have to do some kind of craft or something with them...maybe something practical and useful so that I am still using them (I'm serious). Any suggestions?

7 comments:

Matt and Meredith said...

Wow. You definitely wore those shoes into the ground. I have NOOOO ideas about what you can use them for. It cracks me up that you are trying to find a use.

Anonymous said...

Michawn,
This is yo Mama speaking. Let Joel throw them away. I repeat, Let Joel throw them away.

Love,
Mama

Michawn said...

Wow, I thought I was the un-creative one. Didn't any of you ever make something out of something special/sentimental to you? Making pillows out of old pajamas ring a bell, teddy bears or quilts out of old special clothes, etc.? Come on people.

Anonymous said...

I saw a great show the other day where they used old flip flops to make a welcome mat. Very cute, and strung together with fishing line (I think).
The flip flops were cut into two inch long by 1/2 inch long strips, then strung together in a 'woven' pattern.
It was on "Planet Green" on a show called "G Word" I think.
Have fun!

Anonymous said...

Glue some pictures on it and hang it on the wall!:)
Chunk it and you know I save everything and use it for something artsy or otherwise in prek but...well maybe you could make a doormat out of them:)
Love ya!
Aunt Marilyn

P.S. I just got 2 new pair of Teva flipflops. Had to get rid of old ones (probably 10 years but did not wear them all the time like you) because Kallie, Ariel's puppy, chewed the toe strap in two. Oh well, the new ones are much softer and much more comfortable. Cuter,too.

Unknown said...

I had to read the comments to see if I was alone in my thinking...nope, I'm not! I'm thinking the pictures will suffice for your memory keepsake...if you do make a craft out of those I must see pictures of the process...pictures of your kids and you all holding your dirty reefs!?! Hilarious! You crack me up Michawn!!!

js said...

I love my reefs too!