Friday, June 27, 2008

Family Fest

Have I mentioned that I am SUPER DUPER impressed with the kids' school? Wow!! If the reason you are going to homeschool is solely because you don't like the schools available where you are, head on down to Anapolis, Brazil. Wow...again.

These teachers are amazing. Apparently they only hire teachers who are SUPER passionate about teaching young minds. Seriously, I'm amazed. These teachers are actually developing their own curriculum. They are VERY aware and mindful of doing everything possible to keep learning fun. They don't criticize and only encourage. They REALLY love the kids and it shows. Oh, and they also intertwine Jesus and His values and principles in all they do...they are not only passionate about the minds of these kids, but also their hearts and character. Truly these ladies have a calling to do this. I love to watch them.

Yesterday was the kids' last day at their Portuguese class. At the beginning of all of this, we thought that we might be moving in July. That is no longer the case, but we don't know when we will be leaving. Besides that, I'm really wanting my kids home with me...the plan was to send them until the end of June, so that's what my head (and heart) were at peace with. So, unless something drastic changes, they won't be going back in August (July is a month-long mid-semester break).

But, when we went to pick the kids up yesterday, I wanted to be sure to adequately express to the teachers how much I appreciated them and this opportunity, how very impressed I am with them, how thankful I was. I couldn't really do it in words (Portuguese ones anyway). Joel told them for me to a certain extent, but somehow I think the point got across. When we were talking to the director of the elementary (Tania) and telling her goodbye essentially and how grateful we were, I started crying. Then she started crying. So, it was an emotional first day there and an emotional last day. :) Ha. All of it was a great experience.

A couple of weeks ago the school had a HUGE party for the students and families. There were probably well over 1000 people there. It was great! Everything this school does they do with excellence. This was no exception. I am overwhelmed at the hard work they always put in.

Here are a few (ok, a TON of) pictures for you of our time at the party. Each class performed, there were exhibits, there was food, there were huge blow-up slides and such, there was fireworks, etc. At the beginning Tania said a few words and also introduced some other people. There was another speaker and basically the Gospel was preached bigtime. They are really into sharing Jesus and His principles (family values, etc.) in a great, non-preachy way. Yeah, O.K....I'll stop going on and on about how great this school is and just show you the pictures. :) But, we have really enjoyed this experience and are so grateful we had the chance to be a part of Couto Junior. Oh, and as you probably guessed, the kids have REALLY picked up Portuguese so much in the last few months of being there. Sometimes they are translating for me. :) Ha ha. It's great. Now, pictures...


The whole party had a theme of being good stewards and taking care of our world. Here, and the next few pictures, are of us getting Hadley all ready in her costume.











Family picture.
Arriving at the party. It was held at the track where I usually run.

Carefully going down the steps with our big honking double stroller. :)


Eissa didn't like the fireworks too much. They were fine at first, but just got louder and bigger (and lasted a long time). It was a nice show though.
Hadley's class was the first to perform...she was the first out on the stage for the night. She was Eve. There she is in her fig leaves with her little Japanese Adam. ;)
Waiting patiently...
...as the stage gets all set up.





Watching her dance teacher perform (they each had a little dance class once a week during school).

Adam getting life breathed into him.
Then Adam and Eve danced around and walked through the Garden of Eden together.
It was so cute.







Adam and Eve and some of their animals.


Taking a bow.
My little Eve-star.
Cass just slept or hung out the whole night...we didn't hear a peep out of her. Perfect I tell you.
After her performance...watching another class.
Eissa watching too.
With a little help from Daddy.
Grady's class performing. They sang a song about the happy family...it was really upbeat and really cute.
Grady was the best guitar player there. ;) Seriously, he was really great and very attentive to what he was supposed to be doing.







Grady showing us how he did it.
Nice.
Taking a picture of the stars...but, Hadley couldn't keep her eyes off the stage behind her.
That's more like it. I really was impressed with them...they didn't show the least bit of nervousness or being shy. As I said, there were well over 1000 people there and they were fine with that. Maybe it's their ages, maybe it has to do with the lifestyle we've lived, maybe it's their personalities, or maybe it's a combo of many things, but I always find it interesting to see exactly how my children respond in all situations...to find out who they really are.
The crew.
The many tents of exhibits.
Cool table and chair set (if you can't see, it's made from tires).
Some of the high school exhibits...some of it was science fair type stuff.
Gillian had to try on the fig leaf crown.
And Hadley had to make the pose too.
Waiting patiently for something to eat.



Each of the kids' classes had a booth showing off their stuff and going along with the recycling/taking care of the earth theme. Here's Grady excited to show us all he made...including the things hanging from the roof of the tent (these things are now hanging around our house on nails in the wall).

Showing us the book he made.

With his teacher, Tia Laura. They each got gifts from their teacher...Grady loves his cool water bottle.
Hadley's booth.
Getting her gifts.
She got candy and a cute little plastic gardening set.
With her teachers Tia Sandra (on the left...the teacher's aide) and Tia Edslene.
Grady's booth had this water fountain and we couldn't leave without taking a picture with it.
Yesterday, on their way to their last class.

4 comments:

Gillian Day Hough said...

Hey I dont know if it is just me but some of the pictures are all on top of each other.

Gillian Day Hough said...

or i guess i should say my computer and not me lol.

DyessFam said...

Man, that looks like it was fun! I wanna go! Maybe someday. You guys do such fun things as a family. Wanna adopt us? :) This is for the other post: I love to go by my old stomping grounds. Its amazing to me how much things change. Anyway....LOVE the pics. I'll be jealous until we get another camera. Until then, I'm just aiming my camera phone and hoping it comes out right. Most of the time I can't even see what I'm trying to take a picture of because of the glare of the sun! Hahahaha.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great time! So glad you have had a wonderful experience at this school! Fun pics of your little stars on stage!

~ Ali