Sunday, December 02, 2007

The Joel and Michawn Story - Part 13


Joel had asked me to "give him a week." I told him that was fine. I gave him the letter (that had been approved by Dave and Tammy). He was moved. He ended up telling me some of what he thought he'd wait for.

He had talked to John that Saturday morning (while I was at the retreat and he and Danny were over at John's house working...before we went wakeboarding). John had said (in reference to his 3 confirmations that I wasn't his wife), "What if I told Hannah to go to her room and she waited for 3 confirmations before going to her room?" I have to say that I was loving John's analogy. :) They then evaluated the "no's" that he got. The last 2 may not have even been serious...they were just close friends who didn't even say anything to the effect of "this is not God." They just mentioned little doubts that they had and Joel counted them. The 1st one that he got, though, was major. When he told me about that one on the night of the "no" discussion, that sealed it for me. I knew it was a no. It was his mom. He said that he got back from traveling to Brasil that summer. He had asked his parents to be praying about it all while he was gone. When he got back, his mom said that she really liked me, that I was super nice and I was going to really be used by God, but she just didn't have peace about us. Yep, that sealed it for me.

John pointed out that as his mom maybe she was just sensing his confusion over it all and therefore didn't have peace. Bottom line is that Joel wasn't sure then, he didn't have peace, he was confused - it was a no. I asked him how he felt now. He said he had total peace. He and Danny (the night before) had prayed on the boat. One thing they prayed was that if this was supposed to go forward, if I was his wife, he would have total peace about it the next morning. That night there had been a terrible storm...but, God woke him up at 3 or 4 that morning. He looked up and the sky was clear and full of stars and he felt peace like he never felt before.

But, he still needed a week. For one thing, he had to talk to his parents. If his mom still felt no peace, it was still a no-go. I had to stay guarded. God still had my heart and I had to just trust...in God, not Joel. But, now we were back to a maybe. And, back to waiting...

From my journal that night, after that talk with Joel:
Came home and talked to John and Nicole. Nicole said, "Aren't you glad you are in control of your flesh and didn't blow up or become this bitter person when he told you the answer was no?" Yes I am. Thank You, God, for preparing me every step of the way, through every up and down, around every turn. You are my anchor, my shield, my 1st and most important Love.

A week came and went. The week was up on that following Sunday, but we were both busy that day and weren't able to talk. I then worked Sunday night - Tuesday night. If you've worked 12-hour night shift, you know that pretty much all you do when you are on is sleep and work. Besides that, when Joel got off work is when I was headed to work and vice versa. So, the earliest possible talk time was that Wednesday night.

From my journal:
Joel came up to me after church and said, "What are you doing Saturday? Do you have to work?" I said, "No." He said, "Boy, do I have plans for you. With your consent, your permission, I'd like to take you out on a date. Will you go out with me?" I, of course, said, "Yeah." He said, "You're clueless, aren't you?" (Sidenote here: I thought surely that this guy wouldn't ask me out just to tell me that it had been confirmed that it was indeed a no, but you know...I really didn't know. I was still staying guarded and not letting my mind go.) I said, "Yeah totally. We haven't talked." He said that he really was impressed by my patience. I told him (another sidenote: I said this with a smile on my face in a very calm voice...truly, God had paved the way for me and I was still at perfect peace, but I said...), "I'm about to go bonkers." He said, "You can wait just a couple more days." I said, "So I have to wait 'til Saturday?" He said, "Hmm, yeah, we'll wait 'til Saturday." I said, "O.K."

A pastor from Brasil was there visiting Church on the Rock and Life Challenge. So, guess who was serving as interpreter? Yep, Joel. So, after church he came over to John and Nicole's house for dessert with the pastor. From my journal: When Joel and the pastor were about to leave, I was in the nursery talking to Nicole about "the date" on Saturday and how I was going to have to wait until then to find out what was going on. Joel called my name from the kitchen. I went in there to tell him bye. I told him that I was planning on going home (to Saline) the next night (Thurs. night) after Life Challenge, but that I would be back in time for our date on Saturday. He said, "Have you found anything out?" I said, "No, why?" He asked me again, "Are you sure you don't know anything?" I was truly bewildered and told him I didn't know what he was talking about. He said, "I have a meeting with your Dad on Friday."


Wow. Part 14 tomorrow.

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Ok, that is just wrong to leave us hanging like that.....but I guess if you had to wait...then we must too! Love your story! God Bless You!

Anonymous said...

dwI never heard your side of your love story, very interesting! I too think you keep us hanging alot.
You hit the nail on the head about my 'no' which was directly related to Joels uncertainty during that time. I thank the Lord for the others He used,who knew you, to 'push' him. :)
Out of alllllllll the girls God kept him for you and I am grateful!
Love, Pam

Leah said...

Ahhh! Finally some light at the end of the tunnel!
I love the way you keep us hanging. It makes me want to skip to the ending, but each chapter is so intriguing, I don't want to miss one word.
It IS like 'Passion and Purity.' Oh the grief Jim put Elisabeth through. It was agonizing, yet soooo rewarding in the end.