Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Eissa Meaning

The other day I googled 'Eissa' and this is what I found...to answer questions about her name and the meaning. This is the only thing/meaning I found.

This first quote I found on a website whose goal is "to demonstrate that the fundamental teachings of Islam are incompatible with the Christian faith."

"First of all, how would Muslims like it if we call Muhammad “Medo”? Would they take that as sign of respect? That’s exactly what Muhammad and Muslims did with the name of Jesus; they transformed it to Eissa. Of course, they use the deception of saying that Eissa is the Arabization of the name Jesus, which is a lie. Why do the Christians of Arabic speaking countries never use the name Eissa, but Ya’ssou, derived from the Hebrew Ya’shou, the origin of the name Jesus? Why in the Arabic Bible is there no mention of Eissa? The established doctrine of the Bible is that every name have a specific meaning. Therefore, the name Ya’ssou means The Savior. What does Eissa mean? No Muslim will be able to tell us the meaning of Eissa. Simply, because it has no meaning."

The next quotes I just found on random sites when I googled.

"Many Muslims name their children Eissa, which is the Arabic form of Jesus. We have a few in our family. One of my roomates in the US was named this, so we just told everyone his name was Jesus."

"Jesus in Arabic is Eissa. Eissa is a common name throughout the Middle East. Muslims and Christians are honored to have this name since it is a prophet's name. Some people spell it Isa, Issa, Esa or Essa."

So, needless to say, it's...interesting. Who knows what God will do with that? There are some really cool possibilities. We'll see. But, that answers your question about the name 'Eissa.'

One last quote, which is actually the coolest to me.

"The person of Jesus or Isa in Arabic (peace be upon him) is of great significance in both Islam and Christianity."

The reason it is the coolest is because as it states here, we have 2-word descriptions for each of our children related to their names and what they mean and just our vision for them individually. The meaning of "Asa" that I saw first when we chose her name were for a Hebrew female, meaning "healer." As pertaining to King Asa's life in the Bible, we just felt like peaceful was the other meaning. So, from the beginning, Eissa's 2-word description has been "peaceful healer." Now, it's hard for me to tell through my googling if the "peace be upon him" thing is the supposed meaning or if that's just something Muslims say after they say the name Jesus (or their equivalent)...kind of like after someone says a deceased person's name and then they say, "God rest their souls." But, still thought it was cool.

Was totally going to post something else today, but that will have to wait. :-) Wanted to let you know what I found about Eissa.

6 comments:

Haley said...

I love that "peaceful healer". God knew long before you guys did that the spelling would be changed. I'm guessing that He has a plan. :0)
(I'll email you sometime soon.)

Leah said...

I'm thinking Jesus is THE peaceful healer. How blessed Eissa is to carry His name!

Anonymous said...

Remind me again of the older kid's two name meaning!?! Love her name! Sweet Eissa Rose! :)

Unknown said...

Hi, I was just googling my name and I landed here. My name is Eissa too, and I don't think my parents could have chosen a better name for me.

Also, we say Peace Be Upon Him (PBUH) after naming any prophet.

Michawn said...

Eissa...I never replied to your comment here, but THANK YOU for leaving this comment and that information!! How fun that you found my blog post by googling your name. Great name, by the way. ;) Most people named Eissa are males, correct? I'm assuming you are male? My daughter is Eissa because we changed the spelling of her name, which used to be Asa, after we moved to Brazil...that way it would still be pronounced the same way. It took some getting used to at first, but we love it.

Thanks for your comment!!

booboo said...

My husband is called Mohamed yet we all call him Mido. We are Muslim and it's not disrespectful at all. Just a nickname which is common. 😀