Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Future Plans - Part 1

At the end of this semester with Asas (semesters go from Feb.-June and August-December), each pilot and his spouse had a big meeting. It consisted of a big evaluation (taking into account pretty much everything from flying to family life) and laid out plans for the future. We had our meeting last Friday, the 4th. So, I wanted to fill you in on what the conclusion from that meeting was.

The original recommendation when we came to Brazil for our candidacy (basically a week-long interview...ours was squashed into 4 days) back in September of 2006 was that we come here to the headquarters and get trained for one year (we've been here a year now). Joel would basically just receive standardization (get up to code on the way Asas does things, flying and maintenance), get all his documents/licenses transferred to Brazil, and I would receive language training. This has happened, but it has been recommended that we actually stay here in Anapolis another year to receive further training in those regards and also pick up a few other responsibilities. We also plan/hope to go on our first furlough around the holidays of 2009, so after spending another year here, that would put us spending only 5-6 months at our new base after being transferred before furlough. So, after putting that into consideration as well, the leaders suggested that we just stay here in Anapolis a total of a year and a half...until furlough.

So, there is the big news. No big move in the very near future. Although we are very excited about going to the Amazon region and actually putting into practice things that we are learning here, we are also very glad to to stay here for longer too. It's a great area...great weather, we have a great church, it is so very interesting to learn how the "guts" of our mission works and be able to really get to know the leaders (since we are at the headquarters), we have made some great friends here, and we get to see old friends too (from when Joel was growing up here).

There is one problem that you can be praying about for us. A house to call our own. :) I am beginning to loathe moving (this next one at the end of this year will make 10 moves in our 7 years of marriage). It's been a long road and I've done really well so far with moves...even enjoyed them. But, I can tell that there is beginning to be no grace for that. Now, we have at least 2 more moves before we even have the hope of it being the last move for a while, but I'm just saying...it's starting to get old.

The owners of the house we are in now are coming back the beginning of November. Therefore, we have to be out by then. There is a possibility of a house opening up nearby, but they are not leaving until mid-December. Eeesh. That seems like the perfect solution, except, what to do for that month and a half? Hmmm! ;) Ha ha ha. Just be praying for us about that little aspect of this whole new plan, if you will.

So, yes...we'll be staying put (in the same city anyway) for at least another year. Joel will continue to flight train and do maintenance projects. He has been asked to actually pick up the responsibility of being the maintenance coordinator. A real need in Asas is also in the area of avionics. Joel has a great background in that already, but will be receiving more extensive training most likely here too...a new focus for him. He will be flying alot and was even asked to flight instruct an external student (Asas not only takes missionary wannabes, but also others who just want to learn to fly...is profitable for our mission...helps cover the cost of missionary training...but is also a real chance for evangelism/outreach), so that will keep him busy.

I will be continuing my language learning. It's a much slower process than say, if I didn't have 4 small children, but who cares? I don't. I'm learning, that's the bottom line. There is progress. I'm personally in no huge hurry...not to the point of sacrificing what I feel is most important...being the best mother I can be (and that means TIME). I can carry on conversations, go places all by myself like a big girl, etc. I can understand most...always get the jist of things. I still miss alot of details, but I can even see improvement in that area.

Back in June, a few days after my last day at Asas, a teacher came to my house. We met one time and will probably continue to meet once a week or so after the July holiday, I'm not sure. She seemed open to my preferences as far as how I prefer to learn the language and maximize my time, but then when class time came, it wasn't really what I wanted. So, we'll have to see if that's going to work out. I think it will, I just have to be more specific in the details of what I want (no assigned homework...I already study on my own; focus on just conversing during class time, answering any questions I have from my study time during the week, and maybe some vocabulary quizzes, just to keep me accountable to actually study vocabulary during the week...learning new words really opens up my ability to express myself).

So, there you have it...the BIG update and news. Sorry if it doesn't flow very well...might seem a little jumbled, but that's always a possibility in this house. It's taken me several sittings to get this one written. I usually don't write out a blog post until after 8pm. When I try, let's just say it's easy to get distracted sometimes. :0 Let me show you why...

HA!! We have yet to get a good picture of the kids together. Hilarious.

3 comments:

Melissa Terry said...

I am so excited for you guys. I really believe this is a God thing. I will be praying that the Lord opens up the perfect place, at the perfect time. We love you and are standing with you.

The Brodines said...

As I think back on how the Lord provided perfectly for to provide people to lease our house and to see Him work it out so perfectly...it made me think of you guys and how the Lord will do the same for you. He will blow you away by His faithfulness and goodness. I love you so much. We will be praying!

Anonymous said...

I'll be praying for you guys and the timing of the move to a new place. Thanks for the update so we can pray!

~ Ali