Monday, August 27, 2007

Just Happenings

Haven't posted in a few days...just wanted to update a bit.

First of all, I started Portuguese classes last week. I go on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8:30-10:30 in the morning. I really like my teacher. She is actually an English and Spanish teacher (to Brazilians). She is a native though, super duper smart, and really knows her stuff as far as languages. I'm not allowed to speak English while there, so it gets a bit challenging, since I don't know Portuguese. :) But, it's good. It forces me to use what I do know (not that I don't get alot of that at the store or wherever, but that's the way a good foreign language class is done)...plus gives me plenty of good practice for the game of charades. :) As my teacher said, "Communication is much more than just talking and language." Case in point...when we first moved here, I went down to the store around the corner from our first little house. Magali's aunt owns it and so I had already met everyone that worked there. Tatiane was there that day and I had no idea what the word for onion was, but that's what I needed. I didn't think they had any, but wanted to ask. Tatiane had no idea what "onion" in English was, so I ended up acting out cutting an onion and crying. She got it immediately. Anyhoo, Portuguese classes are going just fine, although my mind is exhausted after just those 2 little hours from only speaking a language I don't really know and trying to understand everything she says to me.

The weekend was fun. We just ran errands on Sat. morning. We got invited to a little birthday party here on the seminary campus for a 4 yr. old girl. So, after lunch we went to the playground to the party. It was really fun...and there are some really fun people that live here. Me and Joel watched "Facing the Giants" for the first time that night...a cute movie, but an even greater story that is behind the making of it.

Sunday morning Joel went to a couple of different churches that we've already been to...just to check things out again. We were really ready to find a church...esp. Joel...I mean, I can't understand anything anyway, so it's not that crucial for me at this point. :) For lunch we went out to eat at this super great buffet where the kids eat free...nice. It is a Chinese-Arabian restaurant and it's really fun. Anyway, Marcelo and a friend of his, Cristiane, met us there and then came over for ice cream afterwards. Marcelo was one of Joel's friends growing up...it's really fun to get to hang out with him these days.

Sunday night we went to the church that just might be "the one." We really, really loved it. So, of course we don't want to jump the gun and say we found our church, but it is definitely a possibility, so we are really excited. We'll keep you posted.

Today a lady came to our house for lunch. Kristin asked her to speak at the weekly Asas devotional this morning. Steve and Kristin and their family, along with Gretchen, came over to visit with us and eat some yummo food. She was very interesting. She and her husband came here to Brasil in '58 with their 3 children under 3. They worked with Wycliffe, living with a tribe along the Amazon. She's got plenty of stories. She now teaches in nearby Brasilia. It was great meeting her.

That's about it. Me and the kids are about to go up to the playground. At the birthday party the other day, they (the moms) told me they all usually go to the playground everyday at 5:30. So, it's cool...me and the kids get 2 in 1...not only do we just get to hang out with people and make some friends, but we also get to practice our Portuguese.

Do you have any questions for me? Anything you are wondering about that I haven't covered? Just let me know.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

week! I'm cracking up at your last blog too. :) I can totally see you arguing with the lady. Geeze! some people! that's when I'd like to say, "Stupid Americans!" We can be so arrogant, can't we?

love you woman. Praying for you and all your onion acting out :)

Anonymous said...

I'm praying for you guys hope you find the right church! How's breastfeeding going while being pregnant? Just curious! I started the 'coach potato to 5K' running program this week! I've got a long way to go but it feels good to be excercising again! Thanks for the motivation!

Michawn said...

I am still nursing while pregnant. It's going fine. I only nurse 3-4 times a day now anyway and it seems to me that those are just little snacks. She's eating lots, so it's fine. She's content.

Anonymous said...

I'm breastfeeding 4-5 times a day...but the bigest feeding is first thing in the morning the rest are short snacks like you said! I can't believe our baby girls will be '1' in less than 6 weeks! Time flys! :) AG is still crawling! But, she'll be walking before I know it! :)