Monday, September 25, 2006

Migraines Stink

Alright, so I'm not completely sure that what I have is a migraine. But, that's kind of what I'm leaning toward, given my symptoms and such.

I've had one other headache like this...back in December. It lasted less than 24 hours though, which I was very grateful for. This one is hanging on for dear life.

The whole history is that I started getting "floaters" (fuzzy vision) every now and then about 3 months after Hadley was born. I kept having them fairly regularly (once a week or so) and decided to go to the eye doctor. The floaters would last about 30 minutes each time I had them, during which I couldn't really do anything, like drive...very annoying. Sometimes I would have a headache following these episodes and sometimes not. The eye doctor said that it could really just all be related to having been pregnant recently...everything swells to a certain degree when pregnant (even parts of your eye), blood volume is increased, hormones are whacky, etc. He said I should just give it 3 months or so and if it didn't stop, get checked out again. He called it "optic migraine" or "opthalmic migraine."

We moved and didn't have insurance anymore. And, the episodes got fewer and farther between. Finally, I had that really bad headache in December and nothing after that...no floaters or anything.

The floaters came back, from my recollection, probably about a month or so ago. I don't think I had any before that. I've had about 2 or 3 episodes I guess...not always followed by a headache (and if a headache follows, it is usually a mild headache...not like what would be considered a migraine...don't feel the need for medication or anything). Anyhow, I had an episode of floaters last week...Monday or Tuesday night...can't remember. Around Wednesday night my head started feeling really heavy and I would get this horrible throbbing sensation if I bent over. I rested for a couple of days. Friday night my head was getting worse and worse. I went to bed and woke up Saturday morning at 2am with the worst headache I'd ever had. My main pain being right above my left ear (the same as last December). Saturday I just laid around and slept as much as I could. Around 3pm I took some Tylenol, then again at 11pm before I went to bed. The Tylenol did take the edge off, but barely. At 3am on Sunday morning I woke up again with an even more horrible pain than the morning before...I couldn't lay down at all...had to sleep sitting up...and barely did sleep at all...and, it was too early to take the Tylenol again. At 7am I took some more Tylenol, which again, didn't do much. I called my midwife on Sunday morning and she told me to take ibuprofen every 6 hours. I took 600mg at 3pm and it did wonders. I even went to life group at the Brockway's last night (right next door...I had to get out of the house). By the time we were getting ready for bed, I felt it coming on again, so I took 400mg ibuprofen. Then again at 3am when I woke up, felt it again...took another 400mg.

I woke up this morning with a heavy head, but not bad pain or anything. I was going to try to not take any more medication...but, it didn't work. By the time 10am rolled around, I was hurting really bad. I called my midwife back (she had told me to call her if not any better) and she said keep taking the ibuprofen every 6 hours to keep it at bay and come see her today at 5:15pm. So, that's the history and the update of Michawn's headaches.

The concern for pregnant chics with headaches is preeclampsia. Some of the symptoms are: headache, swelling, high blood pressure, and protein in urine. As of last Wednesday my blood pressure was 104/58 (my norm.) and no protein in my urine. I don't have any swelling, just the headache. So, I'm sure it's not that, but we will be absolutely sure after this afternoon, after my midwife checks my blood pressure and urine again...always good to be sure.

Another thing it could be is a really bad sinus headache...I don't have any drainage or fever or any of the other related symptoms of that, but I also took some Sudafed a while back...we'll see if that helps. And, the other thing it could be is just whacky hormone stuff...my body getting ready to deliver and the estrogen and progestin (or whatever) shifting and such. And, of course it could be a "tumah." :) But, we'll rule out the small stuff first I guess before I go in for a CAT scan.

As in a previous post, I'm not one to take medicine. But, thankfully those little ibuprofen are available when they are the only thing to keep you functional and make it possible for you to open your eyes. I've read some heavy warnings about taking it in the last trimester of pregnancy though, so pray that I won't need it long...or that the baby just comes soon (and while I am functional on the ibuprofen so I can birth it).

I will keep you updated in the days to come on the status of my weary head.

4 comments:

The Brodines said...

I am praying for you right now. I love you and hope all goes well. Please keep us updated.
"Casting all your care upon him; for he cares for you" 1 Peter 5:7

Anonymous said...

Hope you are better. Call me if you need me - I'm right here. Maybe the baby will arrive soon and all this will go away. I'm asking God to take care of you and your family.
Love,
Mama

Anonymous said...

I really posted that at 11:15 p.m.
Don't know what is wrong - your blog coming back from Boston or my computer - although the time on my computer is correct. Strange.

Anonymous said...

Girl, you are in my prayers. Sorry to hear this migraine is still hanging around causing you major pain. Glad you're going to your midwife to get things checked out...hoping for answers or at least relief for your head! Thanks for the blog update...keep them coming so I know how to pray for you!