Thursday, November 29, 2007

The Joel and Michawn Story - Part 11


I went home that night and wrote it all out. I wrote Joel a letter. I wasn't going to give it to him though until I ran it by John and Nicole.

I was at LeTourneau University again (a really good speaker that I knew was doing chapel there) the next day. Joel was there and I gave him a ride to his car on campus after chapel. He boiled our whole talk the previous night down into one sentence basically and this is how he felt: There might still be feelings that come up, but if he focuses on God, what He is doing in our lives, the places He is taking us...the feelings go away...disappear. I told him how I had been careful to tell him only what I felt like God was leading me to tell him the whole time (important to note: I didn't feel like I wanted to share more than I did...I wasn't stifling...I didn't know any answers, but in the natural we tend to just gush sometimes about everything we are thinking and wondering about, even when it's not fact or what God would have us say; I could've gone on and on about how "what if this and what if that," but that would've done MUCH damage...not Godly at all), and how I hadn't felt peace at all about telling him the whole scoop, but that now I did feel peace and even a MAJOR prompting. I told him about the letter I wrote. And I did tell him some of what was in the letter (this was the main idea of the whole letter...the letter just had scriptures and so forth, some of what God was doing, etc.). I said, "Joel I think you are SO awesome. I, honestly, would love to marry you. I'd love to be your wife. I'd love to be your best friend forever and help you with whatever you are supposed to do in your life. BUT,...more than I want all of those things, I want what God wants for me. If those things aren't what God wants..." We were both happy and relieved; we were both on the same page.

That day I went back to the Graves' and went swimming. Our friend Danny was spending alot of time out there at the Graves' doing some yard work, so we hung out some. We decided to go wakeboarding that following Saturday.

That night after Life Challenge Joel told me that he thought that the word Dave gave me was meant for him - that I was supposed to tell him how I felt. He said that it really helped him. I asked him, "In what way?" He said, "That's a good question." He asked me what the last part of the word was. I told him again what Dave had said: "You need to express your thoughts and feelings, your ponderings about your future. If you don't it will prolong whatever is supposed to happen." Joel said, "Hmm, wonder what that last part means."

Interesting.

Part 12 tomorrow.

Again, I have no pictures from this particular time period. But, my mom just sent me some pictures of when I was a baby. Of our kids so far, I think that Asa looks like me the most. She's not the spitting image of me or anything, but I think there is a resemblance for sure. I just thought it'd be fun to post some pictures of us together...you can see what you think for yourselves. I might post more of the pictures Mama sent at another time...pretty fun stuff.

Asa, 12 months.
Me...first Easter (about 11 months).
Asa, 12 months.
Me in the flowers at Granny's house, 14 months.
Asa, 13 months.

4 comments:

Leah said...

Cute!
We have photos of Ronnie at the same age as our Elijah and Levi. If we didn't know any better, we'd think they were triplets. It's amazing.
Melody looks most like me as a baby. Ethan didn't look like any of us as a baby, but I do recall seeing him skinny body and thinking he looked just like Ronnie--bone structure and all.
We'll post tons of photos when Sofia arrives!

I'm anxious just reading the Joel and Michawn Story! Makes me nervous for you--even though I know how it ends!

Anonymous said...

You DEFINITELY look quite a bit like Asa!!! I think it's the shape of your mouth---and Hadley is a mini Joel---and Grady is a combo. So...that means #4 should look like....the milk man? Is that the equivalent of the fruit delivery man in Brasil?

Your story is so encouraging! It's absolutely incredible to see what God can orchestrate supernaturally--and it's also refreshing to realize that not everyone conducts themselves according to the standards of the world. Dating, flirting, manipulating...it's presented as the way to "catch a guy/girl"---even in church!!

Thanks for sticking it out, keeping your focus on God, and honoring each other & the Lord in your behavior. I wish that more Christian couples had a story like yours!

-Crystal

P.S.---I'm on the edge of my seat! Everyone has to know: "Do Joel & Michawn really end up together?!" Tune in tomorrow...this is way better than a soap opera.

Anonymous said...

Loving the story about how God brought you and Joel together! :) Wow...you and Asa baby pics are so similar! She's going to be a 'looker' just like her momma! :)

Leah said...

Hey, I heard recently, on PBS, a woman speaking about what's wrong with men and women in America. As if anything was wrong!
Anyway, she said the problem with the dating world is that in every species on the planet the male of the species has to parade around the female of the species. He presents what he's got, and the female choses her mate.
She said, in America, humans have it backwards and that's why there are so many problems with relationships and marriages.
I do agree with her a bit. Women put themselves out there like they are for sale. If men had to live up to a womans expectations, it would be far harder for the to take advantage of the girl.