Sunday, November 11, 2007

Hard To Give Up

Along the lines of pregnancy, please be praying for me about the birth...and for us and our decisions regarding it.

Man, have I loved my homebirths! And, most especially, with Asa...the whole water birth thing, I had my favorite midwife in the world there, etc. In my thoughts of this birth coming up, that is SO SAD to me to give up. Seriously, when I say so sad, I mean that I am on the verge of tears when I think about it. That was so important and special to us.

It's just not an option here though. We had originally thought that we may even be able to have Sylyna (my midwife from Texas) come down. She had talked about, before we left, coming down and delivering our babies for us here. She and some of her midwife friends have a real passion for that, considering it part of their ministry...traveling to deliver babies for the missionaries they know. It seems far-fetched at first, but when put that way...it's part of what they feel is their calling and ministry...it just might work. And, in fact, it does. Some of them have done just that. Well, it doesn't seem that it is going to work this time though. There are 3 reasons:

1. Sylyna's daughter is due with a baby also on Feb. 29th. Sylyna is supposed to be with her a month to help out. (my due date is Mar. 22nd)
2. Sylyna is also in school, to get her nurse midwife's degree I believe (she is a nurse and she is a lay midwife...she is now meshing the 2). She said this would probably not be a problem...that she could probably schedule around it, but still there is the #1 to deal with.
3. In Texas, Sylyna was linked and in contact with doctors who would take over and assume care if something went arry. Of course, that rarely ever ever happens, but if something should go wrong, that is always a consideration. Here she wouldn't have that. I mean, I'm sure in the end that wouldn't be an issue either...it could be set up that we could have that with the doctor I would be getting prenatal care with, but still a consideration.

Anyway, we just have lots of decisions to make and things to consider. We plan to go to all the hospitals and check things out...take tours. We also plan to hopefully interview/see several doctors until we find just the right one. Our prayer is that we go to just the right one right off the bat...and we know the perfect hospital for us immediately when we walk in the doors.

Some of the things that we have to possibly "go up against" are the practices done here. C-sections are done at an 80-90% rate here (depending on the region of the country). Episiotomies are standard. The typical hospital stuff is procedure, therefore not being able to move around or lie on my side (although we did hear of one place that is more progressive towards things that we are more used to and prefer, such as a birthing bed that allows the option of squatting, etc., so that part is encouraging). They have just recently stopped routinely shaving for birth even...total shocker to me that my friend had to be shaved during labor...yikes. And, some still do the enema thing. Not good, I tell you. Thankfully, having had 3 children naturally and normally on my own...well, that puts me way ahead of the ballgame. And, considering that I birthed really big babies...at home...without episiotomies (or shaving or enemas for that matter)...it shouldn't be a problem my friend's doctor friend told me. But, those things are always a concern and something you have to consider when choosing a doctor and hospital.

Pray for me esp. to have peace in all this, esp. considering the language barrier and not always knowing what's going on. My friend was already basically fluent when she delivered her first child here, but funny thing happened during labor. She couldn't speak a lick of Portuguese. Her brain went completely back to English. Funny huh? Well, not so funny I guess. :(

If you've always had a hospital birth and esp. if you've not done the all-natural thing, you may not even almost be able to relate. But, then again, maybe you can...if you think of it in terms of just doing the opposite of what you really yearn to do...not having your favorite doctor there, not having an epidural, etc.

Anyway, please just pray for us in those regards. Of course we know that God is going to take care of us in every possible way and provide all that we need. We can rest in that. But, keep the prayers going so that that will happen...that we will recognize that provision and be at peace. Thanks.

I do now have an appointment set up (finally) with a recommended doctor. I will be going to see her on Thursday, November 22nd. Happy Thanksgiving, huh? :) I guess there are worse things you can do on Thanksgiving. That just happened to be the earliest we could get in. Thanksgiving isn't celebrated here, obviously, so we are just rolling with it.

Thanks for your prayers.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are home! Just popped on to check in with you guys! I'll be praying for the upcoming birth and all the decision and choices that go into picking the right medical suport. Keep me updated after you get a chance to visit a few hospitals.

The Brodines said...

I will be praying for you guys, MIchawn. I understand a lot of what you are saying and boy that is hard stuff you guys are dealing with. Didn't you mention some of those young couples being doctors?? are they not OBGYN's?? they might be able to help you out. I think with stuff like that, especially in latin american countries where they are not so restricted like the American doctors are, you might find a doctor who would be able to do deliver at your home. Are there any particular clinics?? My dad used to deliver babies in his clinic and it was an all natural deal. Let me know and keep us updated. Will be praying. I know God WILL provide exactly what you guys need!!! He is so faithful! Love you!

Leah said...

Michawn,
please research and consider unassisted birth. This should be rather easy for you, since you know the medical field and have already had 3 home births with a midwife.
Talk with your midwife about the option of her being available, but really, really consider the unassisted birth.
You and Joel have been through this three times already. You know what to expect, and you know what to look for if things should go wrong.
I love you, and I'll pray God gives you the right path.
Leah

Michawn said...

I just wanted to address the unassisted birth suggestion. I have read alot about unassisted births before actually...not because I was comtemplating it really, but just because I thought it was really cool and I was interested. The ones I read were all beautiful and perfect...and so very interesting. But personally, we just don't feel peace about doing that. There are several reasons, but the main one is that, although I had very smooth and wonderful home deliveries, both times I NEEDED my midwife.

With Hadley, my water broke and I spent literally 17 hours trying to get contractions started...all with prescriptions and methods given me by my midwife. She finally just came over and checked me and my cervix was tilted back. She then had to hold my cervix in place for 30 minutes ( through 5 contractions) to get it to stay and for me to proceed with regular contractions. We would've never known to do that.

With Asa, everything was fine, but her shoulders got a bit stuck. The midwife helped get her out.

So, although certainly not life-threatening scary stuff (I'm sure if stranded on a deserted island giving birth or something, Joel could get a baby unstuck), it's just enough to really not even be able to consider the unassisted thing. Even with all those circumstances in place that I discussed above (or worse), God could direct someone to do just that...unassisted birth. He could give supernatural wisdom or even give the parents all the books to study and all the insight and tools needed to do so. But, we just don't feel directed. We don't have peace about that prospect at all.

I do think it's really cool to read about others' experiences though. Unassisted birth stories are amazing...the ones I've read anyway (I'm sure there are also the ones that go very wrong, but probably they don't get written about). Birthing in general is such an amazing thing though...awesome how God put it all together!

Also, Lidia...we actually did research that out too...the possibility of having just a friend OB/GYN do it at our house. But, for several reasons that ended up not being an option too, sadly. I'll just email you and tell you more about it.