Saturday, June 23, 2007

Crying In Cereal

I read an article at Joel's parents' house about Angelina Jolie. Apparently her mother just died recently. She talked about how she's done remarkably well, but she's one of those people that does fine and then one day is all of a sudden crying in her cereal at the breakfast table.

I think I'm a cereal cryer. I've been wondering what the heck was wrong with me that I haven't shed a tear concerning this whole move. I wondered if it was just because it hadn't hit me yet or if it was because I was in denial of some sort (although how much denial can you be in when you are packing up your whole life) or if it was just because I had been preparing for moving overseas for 7 years (7 years...the perfect number, right?). Well, a couple of nights ago, I cried. I just came to the realization that I will forever (or as long as I live here...forever as far as I know right now) be a foreigner. That is a hard pill to swallow for the "sweetheart of Saline." For those of you from Saline, you know that name I was given by Joel is not quite true. He felt that way when he first started coming to Saline and then at our wedding since we had lots of people there. But, of course everyone there is like the sweetheart because everyone knows everyone and all, so everyone is treated like that. But, my point is that being a foreigner isn't my favorite thing.

Of course, that is why I don't settle for that long. I mean, I have totally gotten in with Magali's family and hang out with them daily now. It's been lots of fun. They are really, really neat and funny and welcoming. But still, the realization came that my kids will not grow up with any of the things I grew up with. They will grow up with similar things and then things that are completely different, but not the same things. Again, of course the positives of this whole thing definitely outweighs the negatives...one being the huge given that we are totally in the will of God here and would be miserable anywhere else. But, still...it's not like I didn't know these things already, but the realization of what I knew came and I cried. Just an update. I've been fine since then, so that's why I say I'm a cereal cryer. :)

I met with Magali 3 days this week I think (or maybe 4, can't remember) and I'm really picking up alot. And her English is really getting good too.

Today Joel went to Goiania (where he grew up...it's about 30 min. away) and looked at cars. We went to a park...kind of like a little amusement park. We went with Kristin and her kids, Michael and Maira. It was really fun. Of course, if we had internet I could show you pictures, but soon we will catch up.

Tonight we are off to have some pamonhas...Brazilian tamales. They are super good and they have variations that I'm not aware of in Louisiana tamales. I'm super excited (and hungry). Caio for now (although I don't actually know how to spell that...sad)...anyway, BYE!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

When you come home we must have some Brazilian food--for all of us to try. Sounds so good I wish I had some for tonight's supper. And we will also have fresh peas, tomatoes, squash, chicken fried steak, and fried hot water bread for you and us.

Glad things are going so well.

Love Y'all,
Aunt Marilyn

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blogs - that is alright if you cried - you are normal!

Did you get a car yet - may the Lord continue to bless you and give you strength for each new day!

Love bunches,

Aunt Judy in New YOrk

P.S. Priscilla = now are you? I love you. Quess who is coming to NYC next week - Jackie and Dale after they return from Boston. I probably will take a few hours off early from work to show them the city so the next day they can do it themselves. Wish you were here to take them.

Anonymous said...

Well, maybe I cry more than in my cereal when I read your blogs. I can cry in the pizza, cry in the peas, cry in the squash, cry in my lemonade, Dr. Pepper, milk (or maybe that's supposed to be beer in the song), etc., etc., etc. But I also know you are in God's will. I think it is harder for me because we all lived close to each other and the relationship you, Jared and Tucker have had with the cousins has been so great. But it still can be - just long distance. I'll remind our Sunday School class to pray for a car and the right one.
Love,
Mama

Anonymous said...

By the way, Granddaddy is 78 today and Mark is 21 today.

Anonymous said...

So dear friend. Today I cried at the lake for you. :o) The other day your Momma and I cried at the ball park for you. So, we are making up for your lack of crying. hee hee

I'm so excited about all your progress with your language lessons. You go girl. Watch out though - your kids will pass you up with it. ha ha

Love you all much.

Miss Gail

Anonymous said...

Very, very interesting your blog. I can identify with the dislike of being, rather feeling foreign. FYI that word they spell tchau -weird spelling, isn't it? But then I'm a foreigner too and I feel it whenever I'm in a group of Brazilians here in the usa. Love you, Mum