Friday, September 21, 2007

Wipes

So, Amber asked about our wipes and so have several others of you over time, so I thought I'd just post about it. These would've been great to have during my speech class in college (demonstrational or intructional speech), but now I'll just do it in blog form.

There are many recipes for homemade wipes, but this one we were given when pregnant with Hadley by my Bible study friend and Bradley method teacher who is also a chiropractor. And, even though I have never done this, you can also use this same concept to make things such as antibacterial/disinfectant wipes.

Alright, here you go...

1. First we cut a paper towel roll in half. It will end up looking something like the first picture below.

2. Mix these things together (for standard size paper towel rolls in the states...here in Brasil they are much smaller and I've had to greatly modify the recipe):

1 1/2 - 2 cups water
6 tsp. olive oil (obviously this is 2 tablespoons, but I prefer to only use one measuring spoon...one less thing to wash)
2 tsp. baby soap/shampoo
tea tree oil (8-10 drops)
lavendar oil (8-10 drops)


Grady is again showing his demonstration of the mixing action in the 2nd picture below.

The tea tree oil and lavendar oil are a little expensive sometimes, depending on where you get them. But, they are both great for your little one's skin, they smell super, and in doing only a few drops at a time, they last forever anyway.

You will also need to get a sufficient container to put them in. We already had these (as seen in the third picture below) from Wal-Mart probably...this is the medium size container that came in a 3 size set. You put one of the paper towel roll halves (minus the cardboard middle) in the container and pour the above mixture over it.

And, very important...you really can't go generic on these. If you want good wipes that aren't going to crumple and fall apart as you pull them out of the container, get Brawny...they are the best for making wipes.

That concludes this demonstration. I hope it served you well and I made an A+...oh, yeah...this isn't speech class.















Grady and his skills.
















Isn't this cute? This is our house in Longview...that is Hadley, about 7 months old I think. You can see our wipes behind her on the floor.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I think I'll stick with the Costco wipes...love them! I've had friends that make them and think its the best for them though...doubt you have Costco in Brazil!?!? So, since you're taking suggestions...have your written a blog on how you and Joel met before!?!? If so send me the link, if not would you tell your story!?!? I love your posts!!!

js said...

Cool! Thanks. Also, we got Joel's message last night. Justin was bummed we missed the call. Can you email Joel's email address for Justin? Thanks friend.

Anonymous said...

A+ and that grade is from a Speech Comm major! Haha! Seriously impressed with your skills! :)

Amber said...

Why do you prefer to make than instead of buying them??? Yes, PLEASE post on how you and Joel met, I would love to hear the story!:)

Chris said...

So do you make your own wipes here in Brazil? I don't know about where you are, but I'm certain that the papertowels available here in Fortaleza would just crumble!! Very interesting, though!

Michawn said...

Hey, everyone. Amber, I just like them better. They are cheaper...a few cents as opposed to $8 a pop, depending on what kind you get and what size of course. Of course, I'm usually willing to pay the difference for a product I like better. I'm not a very
good chincher. So, the bottom line for me is that I just like them better. They smell better and wipe sticky poos much, much better. And, in my opinion (and not just mine) they are also better for little hineys...esp.
ones that are a little broken out. So, for me, the fact that they are cheaper is just a bonus.

And Chris, I do actually do this here in Brasil. We had some flops at first until we found the ONLY paper towels that work...Snob. I think it's quite funny that the best ones are named that. But, it does work. If you are interested and have Snob where you are, just let me know and I can email you the recipe since it is modified.

Anonymous said...

Hey girl! Tell us the story of you and Joel! :) Give some of those girls (my Anna) waiting and trusting for God's plan some encouragement! Thanks!