Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The Power of Pressure

I will eventually get to writing out mine and Joel's story, I promise. Thanks so much for the interest. That's very nice of you all...and very encouraging that you think of it as an encouragement and testimony helpful to others. But...I just don't have the time to do that today, but felt like I needed to post.

So, here you go...this is dedicated to the all-mighty pressure cooker. :)

I never had a pressure cooker before now...never needed one. Mama had one growing up, but I don't even know what she used it for...I think peas maybe...chicken? I don't know...never paid attention.

But, you know that whole soaking thing you do with dried beans there in the states? I used to have to remember to put them out the night before soaking...if I didn't, we didn't have beans the next day. So annoying.

Well, shortly after moving here, I learned a much better way...no soaking required. You put the beans in a pressure cooker and cook them. Novel idea I tell you. Why did nobody ever tell me that when I lived in the states? Yeah, so you put beans in, put plenty of water in too, and cook them...done in 40 minutes (that's for the smaller beans, like black beans for instance...takes longer for the bigger beans, but it's still quick). Hello. Seriously, what's up with all that meaningless, useless soaking?

Although I have a serious aversion to beans these days (started about a week before I found out I was pregnant...before that I was eating beans and rice for lunch everyday), I am so glad I have this information. Maybe the beans that are in the states are different, although I can't imagine that being the case. And maybe this is common knowledge and I just wasn't enlightened. But, just in case you didn't know...if you make beans, a pressure cooker is nice to have.

And now, just for kicks, here are pictures of each kiddo at 9 months old. Funny, in real life I think Asa looks more like Grady. But, if you are just looking at these pictures that I chose, to me it looks like she looks more like Hadley in these. They all look similar I guess, but yet so different. Fun stuff.
















6 comments:

Stephanie said...

i think hadley and grady look the most alike except for the eye color. They are all super cute!

Anonymous said...

What beautiful babies! I think Asa is a combination of both. They all have beautiful smiles. I love them so much and miss them so much.
Love,
Mama

P. S. I used a pressure cooker for several things. Steak in gravy, purple hull peas, chicken, etc.

Anonymous said...

Hi Michawn! Just want you to know that I read your blogs every once in a while and I really enjoy them. They crack me up and are always a good read! Thanks for the bean tip. I never cook beans because they always seemed to take my mom forever. Although, she had a pressure cooker. Maybe she didn't always use it and so it seemed like it took a long time. Anyway, I love ya and wanted you to know I enjoy sharing life with you....or....you sharing life with me!! Ha.

Love,
Meredith

kris said...

i have no idea what a pressure cooker is....

Leah said...

Hey, I didn't know that about pressure cookers either. I may be needin' one of those with seven mouths to feed!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I talked to my mom about the bean situation and she said the reason she soaks them is because it helps get rid of what causes gas after eating them! Maybe we should all just keep soaking them! Ha!!!!

Meredith