Saturday, April 11, 2009

Water

For a time, I had another blog called Perspective. It was really because I was losing mine...I needed it for that time. I only did 5 posts on that blog, but it served its purpose. I'm now deleting that blog. So, I wanted to add these 5 posts to this blog so they are not lost forever. :) Here is one of them.

If you got here from my other blog, you realize that I was just inspired by the movie Blood Diamond. For whatever reason, God has used movies many times in my life to really move me...to action.

After a movie like that, I just cannot go to bed. My mind is racing, my heart wrenched for people...people who need. Thoughts of these people in Sierra Leone...thoughts about what we all could do for people just like them. Then, for some reason, I thought about the little video blurb I saw a few months ago. We've all seen it several times I'm sure. This one...



So simple, isn't it? Want less, give more. Less self, more for others. It led me to this video about the motivation, the story behind that first video...



Is it really all about Him? If it is, then we'll be all about others, in His name, then won't we? Obviously, this whole video idea was all geared toward Christmas. But, isn't everyday Christmas for most of us Americans? Don't we all just kind of go get whatever we want, directed by our little selfish 'whims.' It's not really, blatantly selfish, since that's what everyone does and that's the norm. And, I'm not condemning whatever we are doing wholly. But, what if...

What if we gave up our daily Starbuck's runs? What if we chose to only go out to eat once a week instead of once a day, or once a month instead of once a week? What if we, like this video suggests, decided to give meaningful/life-changing things for Christmas, Easter, birthdays, etc.? Does that mean never giving a material gift again? No...but as you can see...we all have something we can give up. And, what would that look like, say, at Christmas time, practically speaking? Well, here are some examples...



And, what would that look like daily, say for a village in Liberia, Africa...again, practically speaking of course...


Advent Conspiracy from Living Water International on Vimeo.


Repairing Wells, Rebuilding Lives from Living Water International on Vimeo.

That's what it would look like.

Go here. Roam their website. Wow. What if our youth groups joined forces and did something like this? What if our MOPS groups did? What if our families did? What if?

Go here. See the full story of their heart and vision for their organization...their purpose.

And just plain and simple...on this Resurrection Day, give life!

No comments: