Thursday, August 07, 2008

The Ebersole One-Room Schoolroom

Oh yes, where have I been you might ask? Seriously, July was so busy. Not only did we have company, Joel go on a big trip, and we had just the norms of everyday life here with all these chil-rens. But, I was also busy preparing for HOMESCHOOLING!!

Yep, we did it...we started it. It is extremely informal in that I don't have a curriculum that I'm using. I just got stuff off the net and put stuff together to do. But it is very time-consuming in that I have to figure out what we are going to do everyday and have everything ready to go when it's time (kids waiting, with nothing to do, for Mama to cut stuff out does not make for peace). We are just doing fun activities revolving around the alphabet, shapes, colors, numbers, and of course we have a Bible lesson (seriously, that is the most important to me...I want them to KNOW God, know what I mean?). I have countless resources here for that...one that I even started getting before I had children (maybe even before I was married, I don't remember). It's one of those nifty boxes that comes with dividers for the different categories (People, Events, Everyday Life, Miracles and Wonders, etc.) and has interesting Bible facts on cards. The kids love them. But I also just recently got a Betty Lukens felt set. That right...I'm goin' old school Sunday School on 'em. :) Anyhoo, still cutting out the figures, but super excited about using that soon.

Alrighty, so that's what's been going on. There are 2 more things that I've been really busy with...I'll post about those things soon, when I get a chance. Schedule is fuller than ever now and blogging has gone down in the priority list, but still a priority and I will still be around...even if less frequently. Until next time, here are some pics of the last few days.


We have our Bible lesson in the mornings. It was so funny on Monday. I was finishing up in the kitchen after breakfast and told the kids to go get their Bibles and sit down on the rug in the TV room. I got done and went to the room to find this. Grady's work, it was obvious. My stool there in front. A chair for each of them with their Bibles placed neatly underneath. Super cute.
So cute. Grady is such an orderly little boy and his sisters followed his lead and sat down (after they fought over the orange chair for a bit...ha ha ha). Fun.
Clean-up after lunch. After only 2 days of this routine, they now hop to their jobs without even needing prompting. For instance, Grady and Hadley trade off jobs each day...one helps wash dishes while the other wipes down the table and counter and sweeps the floor. Yesterday after Hadley wiped down the table and counter, she went to the closet and got the broom and went to work, all on her own. Pretty cool.
Monday we started our week-long focus on the letter A. Even our Bible lessons, snacks, and other activities have to do with the letter A.
Here the kids were helping me get the lowercase letters ready for lamination...slight detour from concentrating on the letter 'a' that day, but they didn't care.
We made applesauce.
Yum.
Then we sliced apples for another snack and read this cute little story.
Who knew there were stars in the middle? Seriously, I never knew that...Joel didn't either. We've lived a sheltered life. :)
See? (Grady said this one looked more like a flower...good observation)
Then we had apple sandwiches (just peanut butter between 2 apple slices)...yummy!

Eissa was able to join us for the end of our snack time.
Apparently apple sandwiches make my firstborn girl get the crazy look.
Every child's chore, is it not...folding washcloths. Ahh the memories of being paid a quarter at my Granny's house floods my soul. :)


Not bad.
Yesterday we focused on the long 'a' sound with 'angels.'
My best attempt at an 'angel' snack.
Showing off their folders...thanks Granny!

So proud of their work.
An angel the kids made out of 2 circles and a triangle.
We also made these angel cones.
A girl angel.
Grady had the same parts of the angel to put together as Hadley (including the girl head). But, with a little scissor action (i.e. cutting the ponytails off), there was a boy angel to be had too. :)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like a very fun and educational week! In honor of the letter "A" your kids are 'A'dorable! :) You are so creative! Keep us updated on the one room school!

~ Ali

Amanda said...

We've been working at stuff too, but only just the last week. Johan and I both finished July and said, "Whew!" Now we are getting in the habits of things we were doing before, and getting Corban in the habit of doing a preschool time at home in the morning. We need to prioritize that Bible time for both of our boys, like you said! And yes, there's so much planning! I have been doing day-to-day, and I will be at it much more as we add on to our types of lessons...adding math and science stuff to our reading and writing. I was a teacher before and through that discovered the value of a pre-made sample of what we will be doing. I finally did that yesterday and things went much better. Having trouble keeping Creed's interest since their abilities are so different, but I guess we'll just keep plodding and figure out how to involve them both. Love the post! I, too, am just doing stuff from the internet, which is so free and pretty extensive, but we might go ahead and invest in a few preschool books for home to relieve me of the work load as far as planning goes. I'm going to check things out at the homeschool store in H-town after we get paid next. I also need to ask Corban's old preschool about what they use. I liked everything they did. I'll let you know what I find if it's something online!

Anonymous said...

Tag! You're it!

You've been tagged on my blog!

Chad and Rebecca said...

My name is Rebecca, I am Chad Shipp's wife. I am not sure if you remember Chad but he and Brock have been friends a long time. I came across your blog a while back (it is posted on Auny's blog), it caught my attention because you were pregnant with Cass and I myself was pregnant too. I have had my little one who is 3 months now and she is joined by big brother who is 3 1/2. I enjoy reading your daily adventures and I have added your family to my prayer journal. Until today I have been a "closet reader" of your blog. I wanted to tell you of a website that I use with my little son. It is notimeforflashcards.com You can make things she does harder or easier for your little ones. I like that most everything she does is homemade. I just wanted to share. Thank you for sharing a little of yourself everyday with us readers!

js said...

I'm so excited you decided to homeschool. You are perfect for it! Your children are blessed to have you. Great pictures. BTW- love that rug!

jatlhwI said...

you're back! :)

Anonymous said...

When we decided to homeschool, Cari Johnson (don't know if you knew her) told me that the most important thing was to teach them to read the Bible. If they did not learn that, everything else was useless.

I love that idea. I also love the curriculum we use. You can read about it at www.robinsoncurriculum.com

Anonymous said...

Great job Michawn!!
You're always so creative and I love reading your blog. So many lessons can be learned from God's handiwork and creation.
We love you all.
Blessings to you and we believe you will have a peaceful week.

DyessFam said...

Yay for introducing me to the Betty Lukens set. I probably saw it when I was little, but I don't honestly know. I talked to Sam and he said it was fine with him is we got the set. I'm soooo excited about it!!!

Rebecca Zappasodi said...

Love your fun and creative ideas Michawn!! Thanks for the inspiration! The kids are so cute and I love what sweeties and helpers they are. You and Joel are doing such a great job!