Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Seasons

Since we are in the southern hemisphere, you know everything is opposite for us. We are now in spring. Therefore, we just had a time change last weekend...we sprang forward. We are now 3 hours ahead of central time/2 hours ahead of the east coast. Kind of weird to get adjusted to that way of thinking...that we are going into summer time here.

The weather is hot, but it's nothing compared to Louisiana. Sometimes I think these people would die in Louisiana. They're all worried about the gringa that's not accustomed to the weather and I'm like, please...this weather is great. :) But, it is hot. And, you do have to take into consideration that there are no air conditioners here. But, I could never sit in a house in Louisiana without air conditioning...people seriously die that way every year (the elderly and poor who have no fans or air conditioners). Here, we have no air conditioner, but I can even sit in my house and not even sweat.

Apparently this is the worst time...when the rains haven't yet started. It probably gets hotter than this, but almost every afternoon at that point (after rainy season has started) it rains and really cools things down. This is all hearsay. I'll let you know how it is after I've really experienced it myself.

I took this week off from Portuguese class. I'm doing some studying on my own and using some different sources that I have. One reason that I took off was because we have company coming for a week. They are a couple from Louisiana. I've mentioned them before...Thad and Wendy. Thad is the one who met Joel in Dallas and first got his wheels turning about whether or not MAF was really the right organization for us. Now he's ready to enter the mission field himself (along with his wife and their 4 kids) and they are coming to check out Asas de Socorro. Very exciting. They arrive Saturday morning. They leave Louisiana Friday, so just keep them in your prayers.

Another reason I took this week off is because our girls are a little puny. It's nothing major, but they have runny noses and are fighting fever. They are both a little off kilter, but again, nothing major. One thing they are doing though is sleeping late...that part I love. Even that I would give up though to have them well. :) So, pray for them too.

Alright, enough jabbering for today. Here's a picture, just for fun. This is in church one Sunday. They had just come back from their class, all decked out in their new paper hats and enjoying their sugar.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I forgot about the seasons being backwards. I thought about it one day - then forgot to talk to you about it. So, does it ever get cold? I thought about it after we talked about the time change. How cold does it get? The kids are so cute. Are they picking up the language any?
Love,
Mama

js said...

They look so cute! Beautiful kids! So our church is headed that way in July. Justin says if he comes all that way that he rather just visit Joel. I'll keep you posted.

Leah said...

Hey sweetie, I will get around to emailing you, I promise.
One thing, do you know if homeopathic remedies are available there? I just started using them, and in 3 days Melody was clear after a cold. I caught it right away.
I had a cold myself and treated it and after one dose I felt better, but I did continue the remedy for several days for complete healing.
You know it is flu season here, and I've vowed to avoid doctors all together. We are going au naturale!

Anonymous said...

Heat sounds nice since it's starting to get cold here. Ok... it's only down to 75 but to mee that's cold. :) Ha Ha... maybe I was meant to come visit you in the winter time :) LOVE YA!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the girls being sick. We've got a nasty vomit virus at our house that starts with a high fever then days and days of puking. Ava Grace had it for over a week...we ended up taking her to the ER Monday night and they checked her blood work for her electrolytes. She wasn't dehydrated thankfully. Then they gave us a Rx for a drug that helps with the vomiting. Last night Coleman came down with a 103 fever...hope he doesn't start puking now. I'll be praying for the girls and their bug.

Stephanie said...

hey, why don't you post some belly pictures so we can follow your growing baby?? :)