Saturday, October 06, 2007

More On Adoption - Part 2

Fast forward to after college. I was working as a nurse in Longview, TX and went to the local Christian bookstore (New Life) to roam around one day. I picked up a book that was by a former missionary kid who had grown up and become a photographer. He had traveled around the world taking pictures...pictures of kids around the world, mostly street kids. To say that I was moved would be a terrible understatement.

I sat and bawled in that store. I'm not one that wears my heart on my sleeves or cries at the drop of a hat or whatever. But, if you even mention adoption I tear up. This book seemed to just really re-ignite my fire...that passion for adoption that had started in the 6th grade. I now wish I had bought the book...I have no idea why I didn't. But, that wasn't necessary I guess. It served its purpose as I held it right there sitting on the floor of the bookstore.

After me and Joel got married, he knew that I wanted to adopt. Orphans had always been a part of his life too. Joel's dad had actually run an orphanage while living in Brasil. The boys from the orphanage would spend time with them in their home on the weekends sometimes, just to get a glimpse of normal family life.

Since this passion for adoption was in me so strong, I had always wondered if I was, in fact, supposed to have biological children. Would I be one of those people who couldn't have children of their own? Was adoption going to be my "only option" and God had just prepared me over the years? I wondered if I should even try to have biological children...did God want me to only adopt?

I prayed and really got the go-ahead, I felt like, to at least try to have bio. children. After Joel and I started trying to have children of our own, I really wondered. We had tried for a couple of months and nothing had happened. I know that's not very long, but when you want a baby "right now" (actually I'd wanted a baby for a long time), it was enough time to be discouraging. Around that same time, somehow we were able to pick up the Dove awards on our TV (without cable) one night. We watched and then afterwards there were a couple of videos that came on. One was of Steven Curtis Chapman's video for his song, "When Love Takes You In," which I've posted below. It rocked my little world. I was bawling hysterically...Joel had no idea what was going on when he looked over and saw me shaking uncontrollably. :) Poor guy. It was good though...he really understood the depth of that adoption passion in me. And, once again, that passion was renewed and made even stronger in me.

I was then at peace with only adopting if that was what God had for me. I honestly have always hated that whole "adoption is the last resort" mentality. Of course, maybe that is just because I was made to adopt...that's what God has put in me. But, I do know that it is also very biblical for us to take care of the orphans. Somehow I don't think that means just visiting an orphanage once in a while or even only giving money. Not that everyone is supposed to adopt. But, I do feel that it should be on everyone's radar. Everyone should be available to God to be used in that area...even people who are able to have biological children. Yeah, I hate that whole "I might adopt if I can't have children of my own" mentality. Imagine the impact we could have if everyone was just open to God sparking a fire in them to adopt. Would there be a such thing as an orphan? Many also use the excuse of finances. Firstly, there are ways that aren't expensive. I know that in Arizona it is free if you adopt from the state...in fact, you even get monthly "allowances" for each child. Secondly, no matter what, if God calls you to do it, He will provide the finances for it. Financial inability is not a very good excuse. I could go on and on with my little soapbox (ha), but I will quit now and continue my story. :)

The same week I saw that video, I had a vision. This is the only true vision I've ever had that I can be sure of. I was in the shower and had been pondering that whole thing about adoption that week as I said, but I wasn't even thinking about it at that particular moment. Then, out of the blue, I saw in one instant a whole scenario. I won't explain what it was (maybe another time), but basically it let me know that I would indeed have my own biological children. He let me know that He wanted our family to be an example of what adoption can be...that you can still adopt even if you can/do have your own biological children too.

Again, I'm not saying that everyone is supposed to adopt. But, I do believe that everyone should truly be open to adoption...truly seek out God on it and see if He'd have them adopt and open the doors for that to happen. For some people it's truly not even a thought that enters their head unless they can't have biological children. But, the need is so great...

Anyway, a couple of months after the video and vision, I found out I was with child. That pregnancy ended in miscarriage when I was 8 weeks along...that's a whole 'nother story that maybe I'll talk about some other time (it's pretty amazing). We were back to square one. But, about 4 1/2 months after the miscarriage I found out that I was again pregnant. That began the 'kid every year' roll that we are on. :) As I've said before, the timing just hasn't opened up for us to personally adopt...not because we are busy having bio. children, but it just hasn't happened yet. But we are looking forward to it and are feeling that God is bringing that time along soon.

We are really so excited to see what unfolds for us. It will be interesting, that's for sure.

Steven Curtis Chapman's video is below. Check it out. He and his wife, who have 3 biological children, were not at all open to adoption, but God used several different things to open them up. The little Asian girl on the beach in the video is actually their adopted daughter from China. They have since adopted two other little girls from China. Their 3 bio. children are practically grown (one is a senior in college), so they basically started over with these 3 little girls. They even have a foundation that helps people adopt...provides help financially and otherwise. So awesome. It's exciting to see what is happening and the strides that are being made in the area of adoption around the world.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

i learn something new about you everyday. Cool and very moving video.