Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Do You Want to Get Well?

I just read this on my friend's blog...Auny's blog. It is so true and so good to hear. It totally preaches to me right now. I'm not ready to say goodbye to all of my "American" bad for you foods that I won't be able to get in Brazil, but this still spoke to me and made me excited about getting healthy again soon. Hope you don't mind my copy and paste, Auny.

Do You Want to Get Well?

When I was back in the press room at the Dove Awards, I heard a doctor speaking. He is a naturalistic doctor. He said that when people come into his office, he asks them if they want to get well. Jesus asked the man at the pool of Bethesda if he wanted to get well (John 5:6). The truth is, some people don't.

There are so many natural ways to cure health problems. For example, I have had allergy issues for years. After cutting out dairy products and eating wheat sparingly, I rarely have a problem at all. However, when someone says that they have had trouble with sinuses lately and I suggest that they cut out dairy for a while, their response is, "I cannot live without my ice cream everyday." When I tell people that I have more energy, am less moody, and lost a couple of pants' sizes after cutting out sodas, they say that they cannot live without it!

Therefore, you have to make the choice. Do you want to get well or not? This doctor says that he doesn't help anyone unless they are willing to make a couple of sacrifices in order to get there. It's been well worth it to me!

4 comments:

Amber said...

I understand totally your prayer for wanting to get well, Michawn but I've got BAD news for you!!! The food in Brazil is AWESOME!!! They have McDonalds and cocoa Puffs and candy bars besides the unbelievably good Brazilian food! Let me just say Deep Fried Pollo Ball and Cheese Bread (poundicashu)??? Good Luck!

Auny's friend, Amber; I met you at her wedding!

The Brodines said...

I will agree with Amber in that eventhough you are moving to another country, there are still "bad" or unhealthy foods wherever you go. I love Honduran food, but there are somethings that are just so not healthy. It's about choosing to eat right because there will always be those temptations :)

Michawn said...

Just to clarify...totally agree. There will always be bad foods, but for me they are less tempting when they are not the bad foods that I grew up with or find the most tempting. For instance, I love pao de queijo (the cheesy bread Amber was talking about), but it's not nearly as tempting as my Granny's chocolate pie. See what I mean? I'm still with family and still in the states, so I'm stocking up on all of those things that are "comfort foods" to me, that I grew up with and won't be able to get over there.

The Brodines said...

I see what you mean and understand...you will miss the foods that you grew up with, I still do :) And when we go to Honduras, I just eat it up!!! The aunts and uncles and cousins...they all make their favorite or my favorite foods and it is awesome!!! Enjoy your time before you leave. I will miss you!