Saturday, August 19, 2006

Get Dressed & Dress Your Kids

A final word: Be strong with the Lord's mighty power. Put on all of God's armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies and tricks of the Devil. For we are not fighting against people made of flesh and blood, but against the evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against those mighty powers of darkness who rule this world, and against wicked spirits in the heavenly realms. Use every piece of God's armor to resist the enemy in the time of evil, so that after the battle you will still be standing firm. Stand your ground,...
--Ephesians 6:10-14


Once when I was having a REALLY hard time with something, I asked a wonderful friend at our church in Phoenix to pray for me. She wanted to make sure that I was putting on my armor every day. I wasn't. I would haphazardly do it, but not every day. She stressed the importance of literally praying the armor on every morning, just like we put on our clothes. God gave it to us for a reason...we should use it.

The best advice she gave me that day was this though...something that I had never really thought about at all: She told me that just as my kids weren't old enough to dress themselves and I was responsible for putting clothes on them every day, I am also responsible for putting their protective clothes on them too, God's armor. She said that I needed to be sure to dress them in the armor until I had trained them up to do that themselves, just like I put their clothes on until they learn how to dress themselves. It was a huge piece of advice. I will remember it always...it is so important.

So, put it on:
1. Belt of Truth
2. Breastplate of Righteousness
3. Shoes of the Preparation of the Gospel of Peace
4. Shield of Faith
5. Helmet of Salvation
6. Sword of the Spirit

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I printed this out to keep handy in my Bible. Great advice. We can't arm our children enough in this world.