Sunday, February 15, 2009

Perspective

For a time, I had another blog called Perspective. It was really because I was losing mine...I needed it for that time. I only did 5 posts on that blog, but it served its purpose. I'm now deleting that blog. So, I wanted to add these 5 posts to this blog so they are not lost forever. :) Here is one of them.

It's such a needed thing.

I'm in a constant state of re-gaining perspective. When you aren't immersed in the world's majority's problems (because the majority of the world does have many problems...things that we cannot even begin to fathom, because we haven't lived anywhere even close to that reality), it's hard to stay in that mindset.

I've never been so aware of it as I am now.

In the last 2 months, God has been re-ordering my perspective.

As I was talking with God (more like having a temper tantrum with Him) in the early weeks of our stay here in the United States, I got 2 words very loud and clear from Him. Contentment. Perspective.

Philippians 4:11&12 - 11 Not that I was ever in need, for I have learned how to be content with whatever I have. 12 I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little.

Note how he said "I have learned." It is a learned state of being. I am definitely still learning.

But, I think that one of the ways you learn contentment is to keep the proper perspective. How do you do that unless you get reminded of things that cause that to happen? I am constantly (and esp. within the last few weeks...could it be God at work?...I dare say yes) thrown "perspective grabbers." I am continually made aware of others' needs threw emails, blogs, videos, websites, friends. Therefore, I am constantly made aware of my abundance...and the fact that I whine way too much. I need somewhere to put these perspective grabbers. I need to be accountable to myself to grab perspective regularly.

Hence, this blog.

I will be posting regularly some of the things that help me to keep (or re-gain) perspective. So, visit here often for a good dose of getting back on track in your own assessments of you and your 'needs.' We all need good doses of that.

I had the blues because I had no shoes until upon the street, I met a man who had no feet. ~Denis Waitely

When you look at yourself from a universal standpoint, something inside always reminds or informs you that there are bigger and better things to worry about. ~Albert Einstein

No comments: