Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Diastasis

I have had a "condition" since pregnant with Grady called diastasis. I hate it. This is what happens...

Some women, while they are pregnant, develop this. The muscles in your belly that come together in the middle form basically what's kind of like a zipper. I mean, they aren't really attached, but they are just right together. Well, while pregnant, the muscles come apart. For some women, this doesn't happen. Unfortunately, for me, it did.

I think that for some, after pregnancy, they go back together. For me, not so. I'm sure that having 3 babies in such a short amount of time and the fact that they were all pretty big babies didn't help much. But, I am hoping that they go back together. Otherwise, even when I do lose the weight, I will still have a pooch...that's the way it was after I lost all the weight after having Hadley...still a pooch. One friend of mine even had to have surgery to repair hers...I really hope my muscles find themselves back to each other on their own.

So, question for all of you out there in cyberland...any suggestions? Are there any exercises or anything that I can do to promote this repair? Any of you have any experience with diastasis? Are there things that I can do to exacerbate it? I certainly don't want to make it worse. Right now, my muscles are a good 3-4 fingerwidths apart...so sad. Help me out here.

But, let me show you why it's all worth it...































4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Girl, I don't have any advice, but those are some super cute kids!

Anonymous said...

Did you get an R-rated comment? HA!
Before I ever had Tucker, Douglas and I were sitting on the front porch. I was kind of slumped down (I was also pretty thin at the time) and you said, "I don't know how y'all make it do that." I asked what you were talking about and you replied, "Make your stomach do that". Douglas laughed and told you two of the reasons were you and Jared. I agree - it was well worth it. I always had a super flat tummy but wouldn't trade it for my children. The grandchildren are beautiful! I also don't have any answers for you.
Love,
Mama

Michawn said...

i didn't get an r-rated comment, but just spam...annoying. so, word verification has been put in place.

Anonymous said...

My Mom had surgery later in life for the same thing. Let me know what you learn as you research this condition.