Saturday, May 28, 2011

Eating Well - Part 3

So...with all of those things combined (from the last couple of posts), I was well on my way to a new way of looking at food and thinking of food. Much different way than the 'conventional' or 'modern' way.

Basically, like I said, back to basics. Back to the way our ancestors did it. Before all the conveniences and junk got added in there. There are still people who eat like that...but unfortunately, they also add in the processed junk food and sugary processed treats.

I mentioned that I stumbled upon many blogs. Really great blogs...of people who had found the same thing and were journeying toward health in this way. Here's a list of a few of them, for your reading and learning pleasure:

astepofhealth.blogspot.com - This is one of the first I came across. She doesn't post very often, but her steps (left sidebar) on how to get started in this way of life are interesting. You don't have to do everything, but it's interesting to learn from.

www.passionatehomemaking.com - But then I found this one and it quickly became my favorite. This chic is really young, but is very inspiring. She blogs about all kinds of stuff and even has monthly guest bloggers, but check out her 'about' section and her 'resources' section...and of course her recipes. And she has a list of topics on her right sidebar. Really great stuff!!

www.keeperofthehome.org/real-food-and-nutrition
- This link is straight to the posts about food and nutrition, but the rest of her blog is good too. I especially love this bottom liner about fats which is EXTREMELY informational and excellent and full of links of resources for more learning. You HAVE to read it...a complete departure from the standard advice given today for healthy living.

heavenlyhomemakers.com - Also a great resource.

There are many things that are just foreign to me that I'm learning about...soaking your grains; sprouting seeds; things like kefir, kombucha, the benefits of fermentation, raw milk, and making sourdough. (just google or search those blogs to learn more) But, I'm learning. A very slow process, a little here and a little there, but it's happening. And, I may not ever actually do all of these things on a regular basis, but they are good things to know and incorporate a bit at a time. Maybe it will become routine for me...that would be ideal. But, maybe I'll just keep it simple...we'll see.

There is a GREAT website for those of you who are interested in really learning more. GNOWFGLINS.com is a great resource for so many things, but I especially love that they have online classes available to learn some of these new, old things. ;)

And, I also ran across a couple of books by Nina Planck. This one and this one. Very, very good. Here is a little interview she did (clip below). And this is a big interview she did that I watched a while back...not sure if it's still up, but this is the link if you can get it to play.



Hmmm...I think that's enough for today. I'll have to post again with a little summary and what this all looks like in our family from day to day. Very, very interesting stuff though. What do you think?

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Hi Michawn,

It seems we read the same blogs. I keep up with those too. I really like Lindsey's blog.

My favorite book on this topic is What the Bible Says about Healthy Living by Rex Russell. I also like Sue Gregg's stuff because it's easy to get started. Keeper of the Home has a good ebook for steps to getting started as well.

We were doing really well with all this until Judah came along. We're in the process of getting back to it, but I've been ok with some compromise for a little while.

Keep posting what you're learning. Maybe it will inspire me.:)

Rebecca