Thursday, July 12, 2007

Houses

I finally sat down the other day and figured it up. In the 6 1/2 years that we've been married, this house, the one we just moved to, makes the 9th place we've lived. 9 different places...in 6 1/2 years. Then of course we've travelled to Timbuktu and back several times to...O.K., maybe not actually Timbuktu, but we've travelled alot. That wouldn't be so hard if it was just me and Joel, but having 3 small children and all the paraphanalia they require (the necessities, not just the nice things to have)...it's hard. It really is. I'm done. Thank God, like I've said before, He gave me just enough grace to get me here. And, thank God, we will be here in this house for a whole year...WOOHOO!!

Another thing that recently helped me...we went to Goiania this past weekend. Goiania is where Joel grew up. He got to show me all of his old stomping grounds. It was fun. While there we stayed with a pastor friend and his family. I fell in love with this family. They have actually spent a lot of time in the U.S. and even recently became U.S. citizens. It's funny...their kids speak Portuguese with no accent of course, but they also speak perfect English, with no accent. The mom, Carmen, teaches English...she is also a psychologist.

Anyway, it was a great time and was also a good dose of America for me. As I said before, they speak perfect English, so that was nice. Also, they love movies...so, we watched movies. Although we were super busy the whole time (we shopped alot, for couches and such), it was also relaxing to just spend time with this family.

Back to what recently helped me...when we first got there, we were about to go up from the parking garage to their apartment in the elevator. We were waiting for the elevator and were talking about all that we wanted to get done while there as far as shopping to set up house and all. Carmen had her 3 children very close together too. When her 3rd child was born, she also had 3 children under 3. They have also moved ALOT. Jefferson, her husband, plants churches. So, they've been lots of places.

She is a very strong lady with a great sense of humor...she is hilarious. Those of you who know Suz Dykes...well, if you know Suz you basically know Carmen. She reminds me of Suz in so many ways...her humor and even her mannerisms. It's weird. Anyway, she was talking about how she could really relate to us. She said that when they lived in Florida I think, she finally had her house all set up the way she wanted it...after many years and many moves. Then, Jefferson felt like it was time to go again. She said it was so hard for her. She told God. God said, "I am preparing a place for you. It's not an earthly place." She said after that she was fine. She was giving her things away, saying "Here, take it."

Man, that was so good to hear. And so powerful. And so for me. I mean, I don't think we'll keep up this pace or anything forever...even now, as far as we know, we are staying put for a whole year...but it was just such a good reminder that our things are not our own...our plans for staying put for awhile...it's just not up to us. It was good to hear.

Anyhow, here are some pictures of that great family and us over the weekend.


We went to a wedding on Saturday night, so here is everyone all dressed up and looking nice. :) Pastor Jefferson, Carmen, Acsa (age 16...her name is a Biblical name...Caleb's daughter), Gabriela (age 13...she goes by Bia because when she was born Pedro called her that), and Pedro (age 14). Priscilla, Joel, and Asa are there too. Hadley was sleeping in the car and Grady was off somewhere else.


The girls at the wedding.
















Pedro and Grady. Although they are about 11 years apart, they had alot of fun together.















Acsa holding Hadley during the wedding.
















At the wedding reception.
The sisters.
The girls with Tatiane...the girl whose wedding we went to. Tatiane actually lived with Joel's parents in the states for a while.
The family.












Got this onesie at Target one day. I just thought it was funny. Asa's expression looks like she could actually be asking that question.














Funny stuff.

10 comments:

kris said...

what does her shirt say?

Unknown said...

really cool to see those pictures, i think this was the first time i felt old when looking at picutres of other pples kids, i still had picutred Pedro, Bia and Acsa the way the looked when i last saw them, which they were about the ages of your kids.... wierd!
anywho, no micah yet! Carmen is a really neat lady, and i'm so glad that you are connecting with the pple there! we love and miss you all.

Michawn said...

her shirt says, "does this diaper make my butt look big?"

Anonymous said...

Your blog and pix are so very, very interesting. Michawn, prepare to write a book some day when more water has run over the dam. What's the latest on the crates?

Anonymous said...

Loved the pictures! Miss you all so much. Grady looks older and older. They are so cute. Hadley and her hats! Asa is really growing too. Talked to Jared today on the phone. He is ready to get with the vets because so far it has not been the most enjoyable. The free shampoos, etc. that we get over here cost him about $3.00 each at the motel. Crazy!

Amber said...

Hi Michawn! I pop over to your blog from Gin's every now and then. It's SO funny to hear you talking about Goania. My husband helped build a church there while on a mission trip! He's been over to Brasil 8 times to build churches, I've been there twice. Reading your blog brings back SO many memories for both of us! I'm glad to hear you and your family are making such a good transition!

Amber said...

OOPS, spelled Goiania wrong:(

Anonymous said...

wow Michawn!!! I'm so glad I popped on your site! You're doing such a great job of keep pictures coming. I feel like I'm there with you! I love the house! That's so excited that God brought you there for a year :) Miss you - Enna

Anonymous said...

Oh Man... like Angela, I knew Acsa, Bia and Pedro when they were kids.. toddlers! I feeel old... It's good to see old friends though! :) I know Tatiane as well, from her staying with the Ebs she's a very cool girl.Glad to know you are all having a good time !

suz said...

who is this Suz Dykes woman? She sounds quite lovely...and I picture her tall, very slender, blonde and I'll bet she sports a very tiny nose. You are lucky to have her in your life.
I love you girl!!